Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk boots...

Moosie

Grand poopa
So I happened into a Boot store today and Ended up buying a Boot on a whim.... Anyone heard of the "ELK-TRACKER" ? It's made by Irish setter and by RedWing Shoe Company. I got the 600Gram Gortex Kangaroo leather boot. Price doesn't really matter... ;)

Anyways, Anyone heard of them or have them ? I'm taking them out on my only 2 days of elk hunting this year, Hope they are good ones.

I bought the 400 gram version earlier this spring and they seem to be a pretty good boot. Mine aren't the Kangaroo leather kind but have the brown Cordura fabric. They have treated me pretty good so far. The nice thing about Irish Setter boots is they will clean and condition them free of charge for you. Moosie, let us know what you think of them after wearing them in them thar hills for a while.

YAH, mine are the Dark brown ones. The KAngaroo leather has the tighter pores so they achieve the same leather density with less thickness or some Crap like that ?!?! HEll, I don't know if I buy that sales pitch butthe Boot was DAM comfortable. They have the 3 loop ties at the top and 4 string through holes at the bottom. I don't know that I like the soles that come with them but I can HAve them Re-soled for about $75 later.

DID you buy them in Boise ? I was at the Yen Sheng (Formally Yen Ching) by the mall and it was in the same complex. They also had the Sprint store in there and I almost went over there to get a Sprint PAlm phone. That snext on my list ;) But He said to bring them in once a month and He'd treat them and take care of them. I figure we eat by the mall once a month or so anyways ...so.... WALLA !!! I might have mine rubber treated by the toes too. I guess it's suposed to be the Cat's Meow ? He said to beat up the boot a little first so He knows how I wear them out before he does it.

Yeah, I got them at the Boise location by the mall. Was it a tall dark haired guy that sold the spill on them to you? Just curious. I've worn my boots all year and have yet to take them in and have them treated. I guess I should do it before too long though. I haven't found anything too terribly wrong with the sole thus far. The boot is comfortable though, I'll give it that.

I bought some Red Wing boots from a guy at the Sportsmans Show in Puyallup this last January. He was a boot dealer from Kellog Idaho, IIRC. I don't believe these are kangaroo leather. But they've held up real well, and they've got plenty of miles on them from this fall's deer and elk hunts. Best part is I got 'em for only $110.

Best part is I got 'em for only $110.

Yah..... Are those the Nylon Liners ? If so how do you like them. I went with the other liner and Paid a Bit more. the Cow V's 'Roo made a Huge jump in price too. We'll see if I like them after this weekend....

tall dark haired guy

YAH, when you go in there, Tell him you're good friends with the guys that Fell through his Foot Table and Smashed it. He'll remember us :D :D

I say we meet there for lunch some day next month and Get our shoes pollished ? I'll post a Picture of the Soles I have and Show you why I don't like them for what I do later.......

II had a pair, sent them back... and got a pair of slip ons, cause they didn't have anything else I would use...

I started out with a pair of Red Wing Rainer’s. They were far and away the best boot I've ever owned. If I would have known that RW was going to start making the crap they make now I would have bought a lifetime supply of those Rainier’s! Well the Rainier started to come apart after a few hundred miles and 5 years of hunting... So I called the company and asked about getting them fixed. They said to ship them in and they would see what they could do. They called later to say that they couldn't fix them but would replace them and give me $120 towards the replacement. I couldn’t argue with that! $120 for a pair of worn out boots... What company would do that??? Not many today. They said that the Elk hunters where the "replacement" for the Rainier’s... An equivalent replacement, they were not... so I sent them back.

I ended up finding virtually the same boot on close out in a store, but they were not insulated... I've had them for 4 or 5 years and they've seen some use. They just don't cut it for cold weather hunts though. So I bought a new pair last month. I really liked Redwings stuff until they sold out and started making friggn Chinese boots...

I ended up getting the Trophy Series boots from Cabelas. I like them very much so far.

I will say that I won't waste any more money on Danners either. I had a pair that fell apart, I sent them in to get fixed and they fell apart again... Wasn't impressed.

p005212hz04.jpg

Moosie said:
Yah..... Are those the Nylon Liners ? If so how do you like them. I went with the other liner and Paid a Bit more. the Cow V's 'Roo made a Huge jump in price too. We'll see if I like them after this weekend....

Not sure what you mean about the nylon liners? My boots are all leather and there is no nylon leather. He told me they were a discontinued model and that's why they were so cheap. Regular price would've been around $250.

Bambi, my Red Wings are made in the USA.

I meant Irish setters which are owned by Red Wing... I have a pair of Redwing work boots that are great, and have had 4 pair of Irish Setters... All were nice boots except for the slip ons that I got. Now since they don't make anyting but plastic boots... I had to look elsewhere. It was a shame because I think as a compay their customer service is about the best in the business.

Seems just about everything we can buy these days is made in China. The "made in the USA" Danners I had fell appart twice... So being made in the USA doesn't mean a whole lot to me. The thing that I don't like is you can hardly find a pair of hunting boots any more that aren't camo'd and half plastic and nylon some way or another. If you where to look up Irish Setters product line from about 6-7 years ago and compare it to the crap they make today you'd see that they turned into the poster child for Walmart as far as thier product line goes... The only All leather boot with out camo they make is the Elk hunter, which looks like a great boot, but I like the lace to two design. They used to make some fantastic boots... not any more.

I don't know if the Cabelas serris is made in china or not, probably is... but I know if they fall apart they will take them back and will have some sort of replacement.

Hey Bambi,

Nothing lasts forever my man. Anything that will hold up for 5 years of you using it, will last most users a lifetime. I know what you mean about the quality declining though.

I have Montrail and Lowa boots, with a pair of Danners for lightweight jobbers. I have been impressed with the ankle suppport that the "hiking" boots offer, may need gaitors for snow hunting, but still worth it in my opinion.

Moosie,

If it were me, I'd prefer some leather walking boots without gortex of course , soft vibram soles and only one pair of cheap socks.

Those would probably do the best in that cold :BLEEP: snow covered
country you guys hunt in :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back