MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk Books

CiK

Any good book recommendations on Elk behavior? I heard Randy's on the latest podcast with Corey, but jeez.....that book seems to be a classic now and getting collectors money on Amazon.

Tony

Why not subscribe to some western hunting magazines and get some good info in every issue? Eastmans, Western Hunter, Elk Hunter, Extreme Elk, and Bugle, to name a few, all have good articles in every issue.

Any good book recommendations on Elk behavior? I heard Randy's on the latest podcast with Corey, but jeez.....that book seems to be a classic now and getting collectors money on Amazon.

Tony

You can get it for $42 from the wildlife management institute website

Thanks for the tip,been looking for it too.

Elk Country by Dr Valerius Giest SP?
Called the worlds foremost expert on ungulates .Good science read.

Tony

What book are you referring to? I havent had a chance to listen to the podcast yet

North American Elk: Ecology and Management

This book should be required reading by every one who hunts elk. It is a massive book that will offer days, weeks or months of reading to learn all you can. It's a spendy sucker, but if you want information this is where it will be.

The original edition is a classic, but it is now available in an updated form reminiscent of a large university-level text book. On Amazon I think it was over $170.00. I am a member of The Wildlife Society and they sell it as well from their online store, but I think you need to be a member to access it.

Last edited:
Elk Hunting: Skills, Gear and Insight by Tom Airhart. Enjoyable read and very helpful to be sure.

Public Land Elk Hunting by Matthew Dworak. Just started this one, but so far I like it.

No book can beat North American Elk: Ecology & Management, however.

I've got Elk of North America, Ecology and Management, 1982 edition. I don't know how many times I read it, cover to cover, back in the 80s. Good book. However, I do agree with Southern Elk's post: get the monthly or quarterly magazines and soak 'em up. Some guys are FOS but you can still pull an elk pellet out of some of their articles. Other articles are great.

My father was not a hunter. I'm "self-taught" since I was a little boy, drinking up Field and Stream, Outdoor Life and the like. Magazines are a good resource and most of what find in books will end up in the articles and the other way around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back