Caribou Gear

Elk Attack

diamond hitch

Many have requested stories so here is one.

2017 was a favorable year as an early snow made huntiing favorable for horses and a real pain for hikers. I was hunting with my long term hunting partner and my son. We had been successful with our A tags in pulling elk out of various rat holes and adverse environments through the season. It was time for a relaxed horse trip in the open country. We rode in from the highway about 4-5 miles and worked our way through the fir patches and rock outcrops until we could see an open hillside above us that had 14 head of elk that were eating their way across the park. They were about 300 yds away and I instructed my son to sneak up there and kill a fat cow (we were hunting B tags). We tied up our horses and waited for the shot. Finally it came and the herd looked up and went back to eating. Now we were confused. In another few minutes there was another shot and the elk lokked up and then walked into a patch of trees. After a minute or so they walked back out looking confused and nervous.

Something finally made up their mind for them and they charged across the hillside kind of towards us. With a crash through the trees and the normal rackets that accompanies charging elk they appeared on the hill above us at about 100 yds. For some reason they must have thought the horses were another herd of elk because they turned and charged us. My partner was clean out of tags so I pulled my rifle out of the boot to defend us from the herd. They stopped about 30 ft from us in the middle of the horses and then ran up the hill and then stopped at about 50 ft. I shot a dry cow and she slide back down the hill to my feet. The four raghorn bulls just couldn't believe any of this and just stod looking at us until I yelled at them.

I gutted my cow and followed my son's tracks to where he was finishing gutting his cow. We pulled her down the hill to a pair of trees, strung her up and quartered her. We brought the horses down and loaded them and started out. I stopped and cut enough trees to brush up my cow so she would be protected from the birds and coyotes until we could get back the next day. We made it back the next day at about 9:00 and quartered her and loaded her on the ponies.

I have had a number of these self defense hunts over the years and still can't explain them . When I used to hunt antelope on horses it was an every day occurence. Kind of gets your heart pumping each time.

Many have requested stories so here is one.

2017 was a favorable year as an early snow made huntiing favorable for horses and a real pain for hikers. I was hunting with my long term hunting partner and my son. We had been successful with our A tags in pulling elk out of various rat holes and adverse environments through the season. It was time for a relaxed horse trip in the open country. We rode in from the highway about 4-5 miles and worked our way through the fir patches and rock outcrops until we could see an open hillside above us that had 14 head of elk that were eating their way across the park. They were about 300 yds away and I instructed my son to sneak up there and kill a fat cow (we were hunting B tags). We tied up our horses and waited for the shot. Finally it came and the herd looked up and went back to eating. Now we were confused. In another few minutes there was another shot and the elk lokked up and then walked into a patch of trees. After a minute or so they walked back out looking confused and nervous.

Something finally made up their mind for them and they charged across the hillside kind of towards us. With a crash through the trees and the normal rackets that accompanies charging elk they appeared on the hill above us at about 100 yds. For some reason they must have thought the horses were another herd of elk because they turned and charged us. My partner was clean out of tags so I pulled my rifle out of the boot to defend us from the herd. They stopped about 30 ft from us in the middle of the horses and then ran up the hill and then stopped at about 50 ft. I shot a dry cow and she slide back down the hill to my feet. The four raghorn bulls just couldn't believe any of this and just stod looking at us until I yelled at them.

I gutted my cow and followed my son's tracks to where he was finishing gutting his cow. We pulled her down the hill to a pair of trees, strung her up and quartered her. We brought the horses down and loaded them and started out. I stopped and cut enough trees to brush up my cow so she would be protected from the birds and coyotes until we could get back the next day. We made it back the next day at about 9:00 and quartered her and loaded her on the ponies.

I have had a number of these self defense hunts over the years and still can't explain them . When I used to hunt antelope on horses it was an every day occurence. Kind of gets your heart pumping each time.

I hear that...

I was spotting, no tag on this trip, for a buddy and he was uphill from me sneaking in to take a shot about 100yards up. He shot a cow and then the herd took off straight down hill at me. I was standing behind a waist high bush as they got closer and closer at full speed. I had a nice 6x6 and cow, plant their front feet on the other side of the bush and split me. I could have grabbed an antler and the cows eat at the same time. I don’t remember yelling. As the dust cleared, I discovered a matching set of shed elk antlers (6x6) ten feet from where I saw my life flash before my eyes. When I got up to my buddy he asked me why I yelled so loud like I was hurt.

I was guiding archery hunters, and the bulls were really fired up one morning. We worked our way into a fair size group with multiple bulls bugling. I was about 30 yards away from the guy that was shooting, just cow calling. I sat down behind a pine tree that was maybe 3 feet tall, just barely covered me. It was a pretty open hillside and had a bull come in, small 6 point. The bull walked past the shooter at about 4 feet and stopped right over the top of me. The top of my head was nearly touching the bottom of his neck. I moved just a little and when that bull spun to get out of there he threw dirt and duff all over me, and I think I got rutting bull piss on me cause it seemed like that’s all I could smell the rest of the day. Pretty cool experience being that close

It’s fun when you have to dodge elk. I shot a cow that was standing about 50’ above me on a steep slope and had to scramble out of the way as she tumbled past me.

I enjoy reading your stories on here and like the advice you provide on hunting with horses. Good stuff.

Reading this story made me think of Jeremiah Johnson. Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!!

I can't help myself - I really like everyones stories. On a long cross country scan my son and I spotted a herd of elk feeding down a cliffy ridge opposite of where we were. we worked our way through the trees with our horses, crossed a creek, and approached the ridge. It was too steep to ride so we tied up and worked our way to where we last saw the elk. We were standing in the sagebrush as we exited the trees but it was extremely steep near dusk. All I could see were the cows and a spike. My son was only 30 ft from me but there was enough topographic change that he could see the raghorn where I couldn't. He pulled up and shot while I craned my neck to see what. I saw a flutter of sagebrush and then an airborn bull slightly ahead of me. He touched down briefly before bouncing and going airborn again. When I left him for the horses he was carefully picking his way after the flying elk. When I got to the creek with the stock he was working on the elk in a drainage so narrow we had to tie it to a tree to keep from sliding into the creek. When we came back in the morning to fetch the elk we could see the tracks in the snow where someone had to step over the elk to work their way up the drainage in the dark.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back