Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Elevation

Nut

bcat's thread made me think about this question.

I live in Ohio (don't know the elevation) and I have my bow sighted in from all angles.
Say I got an Elk hunt in the fall somwhere higher in elevation. I understand that it would make a difference in the flight.
In what way will a person like a Ohioan have to adjust to be on center again?

I live a 4500' elevation and I remember one time we went hunting at 9200' for elk and we all had to re-sight our bows cause they all shot about 6" low at 30 yards. We all had our beliefs as to why but nothing we could prove.

I would just make sure you try your bow when you get there.

Take care,

I have hunted from 1000-9000 ft and have had no problem with the change in altitude affecting the sight in of my bows.
With that said I am sure that there is a very small amount of effect on the speed on the arrows but it is so small that it would be insignificant.
ANY TIME YOU TRANSPORT YOUR BOW AND ARRIVE AT YOUR NEW HUNTING SPOT YOU NEED TO CHECK THE ACCURACY OF IT!
There are many factors that effect the accuracy of the bow and arrow and you owe it to the animals you are hunting to be on target. If you do take the time to check your bow it will also help alot in the confidence department.
Hunt hard and shoot straight. Relax and above all have fun.
Steve

I never have noticed any chane in my arrows filght with the elvation change. I start hunting in mid August, and all the way through December if I'm lucky from about 3000ft to 12000ft and my 25 yd pin has alway hit @ 25yds.

believe it or not air density can have an effect on arrow flight, i live in fla. ground zero el. 60' above sea level with high rate of humidity and the air is very dense.Two things i do is : use larger fletchings if you use 3 four inch. change to 3 five inch. less density in the air will not allow smaller fletchings to properly control and balance the arrow.This one is the one most guys cant figure out when it happens in the field!!!! the other thing is to site in your bow wherever you are hunting, as mentioned alot can happen en route to your hunting area.Like smaller fletching not being able to control the arrow because of thin air ,thin air is less restraining on the arrow often times resulting in flatter trajectory and arrows hitting higher than normally when at sea level.The lighter the arrow you use the more these elements will effect it ,so many people are looking for maximum range with flat trajectories that they will use arrows that are way to light and these will begin to effect them!! GOOD LUCK and hope this helps!!!

Back