Electronics scope

Niccok30

I am interested in the Sig Sauer BXD scope/rangefinder system. I am just not sure if this system would be legal to use for hunting in CA b/c it’s adding something battery powered to the rifle. Hoping someone can share their knowledge or point me in the right direction to find the answer.

Thanks

Last edited:
Should be illegal everywhere. Gotta draw the line somewhere. That said, check with your local warden. mtmuley

Reactions: ZBB
Seeing how it worked (or didn’t) for Corey Jacobsen in Montana I’ll stick with manual turrets.

I was going to look it up for you but the California F&W website hasn't worked for me all day. If my memory is correct they don't allow it.

I'd also recommend researching the scope. What I've heard about it has not been impressive.

same Here about the website. I like the idea and technology behind this system. I was just hoping someone might have some info or know where to find if it’s legal or not to use in CA. If it’s not legal to hunt with it’s no big deal I’ll just continue looking for a new scope for my Weatherby Mark V Backcountry .270 Weatherby Mag.

Having a separate range finder to emit the laser and doing the calculations keeps the system legal I think.

I researched this recently. It is legal as long as it's not night vision, or throws a visible laser for aiming.

From the CA mammal hunting regulations handbook:

Except as otherwise provided, while taking or attempting to take big game under the provisions of this section or Section 354 of these regula-tions, it is unlawful to use any device or devices which: 1) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of visibly enhancing an animal; or 2) throw, cast or project an artificial light or electronically alter or intensify a light source for the purpose of providing a visible point of aim directly on a animal. Devices commonly referred to as “sniperscopes”, night vision scopes or binoculars, or those utilizing infra-red, heat sensing or other non-visible spectrum light technology used for the purpose of visibly en-hancing an animal or providing a visible point of aim directly on a animal are prohibited and may not be possessed while taking or attempting to take big game. Devices commonly referred to as laser rangefinders, “red-dot” scopes with self-illuminating reticles, and fiberoptic sights with self-illuminating sight or pins which do not throw, cast or project a visible light onto an animal are permitted.

It's on page 29, paragraph "j".

Last edited:
Should be illegal everywhere. Gotta draw the line somewhere. That said, check with your local warden. mtmuley

For the most part I'm right there with you Muley. I also don't think it's very sporting to use an AR platform with a 30 round mag for hunting either. I think that most (not all, so don't flame me guys) hunters that use them do so as a crutch because they don't want to put in the time to hone their skills, so they rely more on spray and pray. Again, not all hunters that use that platform, but I think most. I do think that there should be at least one exception however. Culling out of control animal populations like wild hogs for example. We have a big pig problem here in CA in the central and northern parts of the state, but the snowflake "environmentalists" in control of things are too dumb to understand what real conservation is, or the necessity of culling certain populations of animals, especially ones like this that are not indigenous and wreaking havoc for farmers, and indigenous wildlife. Puma population out here is starting to get out of control as well with increased decimation of livestock, as well as the Bighorn Sheep population. These same "experts" continue to insist they are endangered when that hasn't been the case for quite some years now.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back