Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Electric chainsaw

Have not had a cordless chainsaw yet. I do have two electrics from Home Depot one for where ever and one for the cabin. $99 bucks. perfect for 8-10 inches trees. If beyond the cord, I bring the small Generator.
electric chainsaw.jpg

I think gas is better I carry a qt. of gas and a pt. of oil. If a battery dies, I guess you are out of luck.

I have the Milwaukee. Works great for a truck saw or cleaning up downed branches in the yard. Not sure how well it would work for firewood. Haven't cut for more than 10 minutes or so at any one time.

They're expensive, but the Husqvarnas are real nice. My wife's uncles been putting one through its paces clearing trail with the backcountry horsemen chapter, and he's thrilled with how it's worked so far.

In discussing chainsaws with the local chainsaw maintenance guy, I was told that DeWalt saws have a plastic/nylon gear in the drive train that fails when you crowd it too much or hit a metal object like a nail. I 'm still happy with the one I got but focus on letting it cut rather than making it cut.

tried out the makita this weekend,,works nice on smaller stuff,,bogs a bit on larger 12" + doug fir,but does pretty good for what it is

I picked up a 40v greenworks for under $100 on prime day. I figured it was worth a try at that price so I could haul a saw in the jeep without getting fumed out. It is not a gas saw and it doesn't cut like a gas saw. It does cut however and to see how long it lasted I fell, limmed and blocked to 8' half a cord of 8-10 inch lodgepole and still had 1 light on the battery indicator. It took about twice as long as it would have with my gas saws but for the price and how its performed I'm glad I got it. For a cut in/cut out saw I would definitely recommend battery power.

I've only used a corded electric around the house for light duty. If you go corded, make sure you get a quality cord of at least 12AWG, even with a generator. Too much voltage drop from too small conductors or too long of a run can destroy your motor.

i like the balance and weight of the makita,,just gotta swap out the batterys on larger wood 12"+,,if ya get the makita,be sure to get the 4 battery packs and dual charger set up like i did on the 16" saw,,ran just over $400. cuts fairly thin slices like butter right now.

I won a Makita at a Walleyes Unlimited Banquet, I’ve been impressed with the performance mostly using it to cut firewood while camping and breaking down pallets for projects.

I have two sets of batteries, and can get a surprisingly large amount of wood cut, however, thicker wood drains the batteries pretty quick.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back