Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Electric chainsaw

diamond hitch

After being blown in a couple times I'm pondering the option of an electric chainsaw. The average size tree is 8-10 inches and usually lodgepole pine. Anybody have any experience with these? Limits? Suggestions?

A wood cutter friend bought one to get around the closures to gas powered engines. He used it for lodgepole mostly 6-8". It worked ok but make every cut count.

I've got a Toro line of yard tools. They have a 60v electric saw I've been eyeing. For some quick around camp stuff it would be nice to have. I haven't used one to its fullest extent but I think it's got a continuous runtime of a hour or so. That's running wide open straight.

Not much can beat the old trusty husky though......

I had a DeWalt electric chainsaw. It would would just stop working if you ran it too hard. Fine for a few lodgepole, but you might be in trouble cutting several more substantial trees. I keep my gas Stihl in the truck now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I volunteered to do the cutting at the Leadville100 race just so i could see how it worked. It was NOT light, it WAS surprisingly powerful up to 14-16 inch trunks were OK. I ended up cutting about half a truck full of firewood and still had juice. I wanted to check it out more the following day but the owner had it in his tent and had too much brown water the night before (and slept in) and another volunteer had a heart attack so I had to hike out early to help his wife deal with it down at base camp. It was quiet too, quiet enough for discreet use in places where chainsaws might not be welcomed. But for what they cost they aren't a replacement for a real saw. As a specialty toy for certain circumstances??? Beats the hell out of a silky saw... Goes hard on panniers just like a real saw.

My nephew has a Milwaukee one. I was quite impressed with it for around the yard type stuff. Cutting a whole lodge pole up for firewood could be done, but it would not be as nice as a gas.

I have an Echo 58v with 16” bar. I also have a 58v Echo trimmer with a saw blade attachment. That gives me two interchangeable batteries. I normally wear out before the batteries do. I like that they are quiet, and have not run into any performance issues on trees up to 12” in diameter. Mostly just use it for clearing small trees on my properties and cutting into firewood. Recharging the batteries off my small solar grids has not been an issue either.

I have run the Stihl and huskvarna ones. They do really well on a full battery. If it’s cold you don’t want to use it, on and off over a period of time thought for some reason the batteries loose juice quickly if you do that. If you use it in one long stretch it does great though. They are not much lighter than the gas versions. If you have the pro batteries in them they run heavier at times. Nice to not have to pull start or haul gas though!

I work on equipment for the utility services. A lot of my customers are using Milwaukee electric chainsaws for cutting limbs and poles. They swear by them.

I have a lot Milwaukee tools including the pole saw and my brother has the standard chainsaw. All good tools in my opinion. Good battery life and production. Beats having to carry a gas saw and gas for camp or emergencies.

I was going to link the project farm video but mthuntr beat me to it! The guy makes a lot of cool videos comparing things!

As far as chainsaws go... I'll stick with my Husqvarna gas saw

Back