electric chainsaw sharpener

MThuntr

Anyone use one of those electric bench mounted chainsaw sharpeners that look like little chopsaws? Are they any better than say a Pferd (Stihl) 2-in-1 file or the Granberg bar mounted file?

Now that I have a garage with a work around, I'm considering a small area to sharpen chains and work on my saws. I see there are tons of different brands but they all seem to be about the same design though the Harbor Freight one seems poorly built.

Anyone use one of those electric bench mounted chainsaw sharpeners that look like little chopsaws? Are they any better than say a Pferd (Stihl) 2-in-1 file or the Granberg bar mounted file?

Now that I have a garage with a work around, I'm considering a small area to sharpen chains and work on my saws. I see there are tons of different brands but they all seem to be about the same design though the Harbor Freight one seems poorly built.
We had a harbor freight and used it for years until we quit cutting firewood. It works pretty well but will never get one as good as a round file.

My two cents: If you're cutting wood professionally and you want to invest a bunch of money because you sharpen a ton of chains, they can be great. Otherwise, I get my chains delightfully sharp with one of these:

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 1.49.50 PM.png

Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X Filing Guide

Something like this is great for beginners. Has a guide and does the rakers at the same time. I believe it is made by pferd. Clean, non rusty files make the sharpening process go much quicker and produce a much better result.

Pferd Chain Sharp CS-X Filing Guide

Something like this is great for beginners. Has a guide and does the rakers at the same time. I believe it is made by pferd. Clean, non rusty files make the sharpening process go much quicker and produce a much better result.
I have this for my Stihl and was considering another for a different pitch chain. I'm ok with the setup but was leaning towards a jig to keep things more consistent

If you use one of the electric ones be sure to use it lightly. If you really lay into the teeth you can harden them and then it becomes difficult to ever had file them again.

I use one regularly. They work great when you understand there is a quality vs. efficiency trade off. Do they get as sharp as a round file? Nope but I can sharpen 4 or 5 chains really quickly to a reasonable degree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back