EF2’s 2020 Fall Hunt

TLDR: All signs point to a non-fatal hit on a doe. Returning in the AM to grid.

3PM headed out to an area with open terrain where I have valid tags for 2 turkeys, and doe, and a buck. On the way in spotted 3 hens with 12 polts, plus a doe. I posted on the periphery of a high animal traffic area with good glassing. Deer were active early. I saw about 35 total including 5 forkies, two 2.5-year-old bucks, and one “maybe talk yourself into” buck. I spent most of the time trying to spy a whopper and not so much hunting my immediate surroundings.

In the distance got to watch 2 bucks spar. Another buck was walking up the hill towards me then launched into a sprint. Lots of fun watching him grow really big in my 10x, and at the last second a doe popped into view and they were in my lap at 8 yards. No time to position myself on the doe and he chased her off shortly. Also had a doe and a fawn bust me from above through scent or sight, but they later looped around below at 48 yards broadside and I passed. I heard something else in the timber but couldn’t spot it - a deer later bounded off when I moved - I think it was a buck.

About 10 mins after sunset I gave up on glassing through my $90 optics, and picked up my bow in case any more deer came in close. I spotted a bald head above me on the hill and I got in position. The thermals had changed by now to downhill. It was a doe walking directly at me in minimal cover. I’m crouched statue still, squinting to hide the whites of my eyes, all the while coming unglued as she closes the distance to less than 15 yards. Once her head turned past 150 degrees away I drew back, but I rushed the shot and missed! She bounded off, but inched her way back cautiously. When I got a 25 yard broadside (I guessed, but ranged afterwards at 25 exactly), I drew and more patiently released an arrow.

Upon impact she crumpled to the ground with a loud croak. I nocked another arrow and stood up to see over the grass to send a second one, but she was violently flopping around. After about 15 seconds she stood and took off running.

Searched 2 hours. Blood trail was profuse in a few spots, she fell down a total of 3 times, but in other places it’s just a tiny drop every 40 feet or so. Arrow is covered in rich red blood, no off odor, looks like muscle blood rather than liver or lung. Also, no sound of coughing, falling over, alarm snort, or kicking her out of a bed. There is a smear of blood on a tree with hair mixed in I will inspect more closely tomorrow. Blood trail ended after just 120 yards.

In for a long sleepless night and do my best tomorrow to turn something up.

This is probably the closest I’ve come to crying on a hunt - I am so grateful to have made a recovery. It’s a button buck, not a doe, but regardless I am relieved and thankful.
56377828-C45F-4094-81CE-464A0BEAC2FC.jpeg

I found one more drop of blood 50 feet from the last, then followed a dry trail for another 40 yards that I suspected he walked down, and spotted a white belly in the distance

Long hike. I saw a tom hurry through a gap at 40 yards and another follow right behind him into some thick stuff. Spot marked on OnX for another day. Later on I busted a flock near a clover food plot.
CE0C5EF1-3306-4328-8EF0-06F58E9C4B2F.jpeg
Some flew on each side of a ridge. I’m in for my evening sit a ways up the ridge in some deadfalls that make a nice natural blind. There’s also a parallel scrape line where a buck might cruise along.

Quest to locate a nice buck has finally paid off. I hunted an area tonight that I’ve been to several times recently, but glassed from a different approach. The first animal on its feet was a buck with 140” rack, 10 thick tines about 12” tall, but narrow 15” inside spread. Just after 5 pm. He was under 250 yards and I tried to coax him my direction with calling, but he just glanced briefly, then continued on his way. A younger 8-pt and him bristled at one another in the presence of a doe they both showed interest in. Close by I had many does and fawns, plus 3 forkies.
01377C48-36D3-4C60-94FA-27B4789F9772.jpeg
Based on the forecast winds, Thursday I can get on the hill above him and try to lure him across a creek and up (low probability), but Friday I can get pretty close to the route he walked and if I can get him to cross a tree line I could get a shot. Saturday is ditch-chicken opener and public gets hammered, which reshuffles the deck on these public lands, so who knows if I can still find him after that.

I creeped in as close as I dared to where the nice buck stood up from his bed yesterday. I tried a calling and rattle sequence, but I never saw him.
EF19372A-CDAA-4B01-9CC0-695072026243.jpeg
Lots of does and fawns seen (one at 37 yards) and one muddy yearly buck working a creek bottom. I also saw a turkey flock at 200 with 1 tom present, but I had no approach. I kept tabs on them for about a half hour but eventually they vanished when I was glassing deer, possibly into tall grass.

Tomorrow I’ll try yet another angle on this buck.

Early AM hunt was a bust. Thought I’d set up for ambush on a field corner, but it’s so windy deer were not feeding in the fields, but rather in the timber downwind of me. I moved to one of my tree stands on public for an all-day sit. The first visitor.
A5CA0B1D-9AAB-432B-8334-2E5FC8AF8141.jpeg
And the second one.
A second doe followed the first. The dark spot in the lower right of frame is a large fresh scrape. Maybe a buck will come trail those does later...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back