Caribou Gear

Eastern OR

Mazenblu3

So initially 5 of us were going on a OTC hunt in Eastern Oregon. Now one week before the season starts we are down to 2. We are looking at hunting the Hell's canyon area. After doing some research, it's steep, hot, nasty and full of rattlesnake apparently. This will be our first hunt carrying everything on our backs. Any tips or tricks for making it work with 2 would be greatly appreciated.

May I ask why you want that unit as your first itme out. Oregon has lots of good OTC that is not so rough for a first time ( packing or hunting)

We use to hunt the coast but it's so thick it's hard to locate elk and much tougher to get a shot. We hunted the Imnaha unit last year but used a base camp to hunt out of, but it was full of people. Some other hunters but alot just riding around on 4 wheelers and sid by sides. After talking to an old timer we decided to try a little further east.

Not the place I'd go packing in for my first time.

IMO you'd have a better experience picking a unit that isn't mostly vertical for the first time putting camp on your back.

"full of rattlesnakes" is open to interpretation.
There are some vids on youtube. Also a cpl dvd's were made from a cpl brothers hunting there, see "on foot films" in youtube.

We packed in there with horses one year when I was in high school, which was many years ago. “Mostly vertical” is an apt description. We saw no snakes but then it was the end of October. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back