Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Eastern Colorado

Some great bucks congratulations. Being it was eastern Colorado I assume you had private property permission or own some land in eastern Colorado.

Any experts on mule deer whitetail hybrids? The face fur is definitely different colors?

Did it have a long white tail?
It had a muley tail but the horns did not fork and came around like a whitetail. In an area known for whitetails.

It had a muley tail but the horns did not fork and came around like a whitetail. In an area known for whitetails.
Could be a hybrid, but the antlers are not diagnostic. The tail, if it doesn’t match the body, is usually a pretty good indicator. The best indicator without DNA is a tarsal gland that is half way between the size of a whitetail and a mule deer tarsal glands, and located half way between the positions of whitetail and mule deer tarsal glands.

I hunt in a spot that has an some of both species, and fragmented habitat, where you’d think cross breeding would be pretty likely. You even see some pretty funky antlers sometimes. I’d really love to kill a hybrid. I have not yet spotted a mule deer with a whitetail tail, or killed one with a tarsal glad that is indicative of a hybrid. I did have one on a trail cam that I thought had the right tarsal glands, but I lost the pics, so I’ll never know.

Yours could be. Might not be. Just saying the antlers don’t necessarily mean anything.

CONGRATS EITHER WAY!!!

Could be a hybrid, but the antlers are not diagnostic. The tail, if it doesn’t match the body, is usually a pretty good indicator. The best indicator without DNA is a tarsal gland that is half way between the size of a whitetail and a mule deer tarsal glands, and located half way between the positions of whitetail and mule deer tarsal glands.

I hunt in a spot that has an some of both species, and fragmented habitat, where you’d think cross breeding would be pretty likely. You even see some pretty funky antlers sometimes. I’d really love to kill a hybrid. I have not yet spotted a mule deer with a whitetail tail, or killed one with a tarsal glad that is indicative of a hybrid. I did have one on a trail cam that I thought had the right tarsal glands, but I lost the pics, so I’ll never know.

Yours could be. Might not be. Just saying the antlers don’t necessarily mean anything.

CONGRATS EITHER WAY!!!
Really cool information. Thank you! I wish I had waited one more day becasue my buddy's deer had one almost as big with him and after the shot he stood up and waitied for like a minute before heading off on his own way. But happy with what the good lord gave me.

Really cool information. Thank you! I wish I had waited one more day becasue my buddy's deer had one almost as big with him and after the shot he stood up and waitied for like a minute before heading off on his own way. But happy with what the good lord gave me.
Definitely be happy with him!

Back