Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Eastern CO Pronghorn… another good year!

wolfpup

I am extremely lucky to have family and friends on the eastern plains that allow me to hunt antelope… it’s always a great time with friends.

My wife is the only one to stick to her statement that she will only need one bullet! She made a great shot on a doe getting ready to bolt. D58ABF06-B3C3-4EE6-9A9E-47BF8DCD5525.jpegI was able to take a doe as well in the same field about 2 minutes later. DEE8F485-83DF-4871-90AD-B258B8EEADEF.jpeg My buddy was able to tag out Saturday morning on a small buck. 89A25365-00C2-478F-9B26-F54D8C4900CC.jpegThis was my wife’s third antelope, and my buddies first buck. It’s fun to watch them gain confidence! I do stress about being their guide but I really love it and success so I have a hard time relaxing until they tag. I decided I wouldn’t shoot until my wife filled and I was feeling anxious on day 2 after some great stalks. I will tell you that the extra foot I have over my wife and buddy sure makes it frustrating when they can’t see the antelope over the grass. As they gain more confidence on antelope will respond they will understand that they need to move up more until they can see… lol. Can’t thank the landowners enough for letting us on.
Cheers to us after the last tag was notched!A35CFB2B-D446-41BE-BB78-CE7176613AC8.jpeg

Way to get it done. Congrats!! Looks like it was a warm one with the short sleeve t-shirts.

Way to get it done. Congrats!! Looks like it was a warm one with the short sleeve t-shirts.
It sure did get warm. Pretty common for first weekend of October in the eastern plains. Low 50's in the morning on up to 75-80 during the day.

Finished processing last night and here are the numbers we got from 3 antelope:

All deboned completely and ready for grinding, but I did add 14 pounds of pork but for the total:

12 Pounds Chorizo - Followed Hi Mtn Seasonings - Mixed 60/40 pork
12 Pounds Country Style Breakfast Sausage - Followed Hi Mtn Seasonings - Mixed 60/40 pork
12 Points Maple Style Breakfast Sausage - Followed Hi Mtn Seasonings - Mixed 70/30 pork
18 Pounds Meatballs - Mixed 60/40 pork - Just added Garlic, Onion, Salt, Pepper, Worcheshire, Bread Crumbs, Milk for Texture
10 Pounds ground antelope only - Will do Jerky with this - Will use all Hi Mtn Products (new this year will be spicy lime and bourbon bbq)
11.7 pounds of backstraps - Cut each side into 2 for packaging
1.5 pounds of tenderloins - Marinated in Kinders since Sunday and enjoyed mid processing.
5 pounds of shanks to be enjoyed slow cooked barbacoa style for tacos.

So about 68 points of antelope for 3 of us. The buck might have had 5-10 pounds on the does, but my wife blew out the majority of the lower shoulder so probably lost 3-4 pounds. There. Seemed pretty average to me at 20 pounds for a doe and 25 for a buck.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back