Easter Elk Steak Disaster - Rescued

Funny, Spade L is our go-to. Last night I grilled backstrap just using the rub, about 5 minutes total on the heat (pretty thin). Medium rare to medium, might have been the best steaks we have ever had. Ever.

This is the first elk I have tried grilling - my friends in Oregon all said not to grill it, too tough, etc. But they all liked their steak well done, and would just as soon bread it and fry it as roast or grill, or grind it for tacos. I get the feeling that there will be a lot of grilled elk between now and an empty freezer.

Don't equate beef temps with elk - there does seem to be an offset, with elk finishing out 10-15 degrees lower.
I'm definitely going to try it. I've always pulled mine at 130 and let rest. Always seemed plenty juicy still but I'll certainly try it.

I'm definitely going to try it. I've always pulled mine at 130 and let rest. Always seemed plenty juicy still but I'll certainly try it.
You’ll probably be glad you tried it! 120 and a 5 min rest is my go to for game. When I do it using my sous vide I’ll do it at 118 for an hour then sear for a couple minutes each side and a couple minute rest before thinly slicing. That’s a favorite in our house.

I feel your pain, the wife thankfully wont eat wild game. I say thankfully because it means I don't have to share and I don't have to ruin it by cooking it to her hockey puck desired doneness. smh. I pray she never reads some of this stuff I post.
I feel for you cuz my wife will eat wild meat but well done almost dry. I like mine warm red in the center, medium rare.

Funny, Spade L is our go-to. Last night I grilled backstrap just using the rub, about 5 minutes total on the heat (pretty thin). Medium rare to medium, might have been the best steaks we have ever had. Ever.

This is the first elk I have tried grilling - my friends in Oregon all said not to grill it, too tough, etc. But they all liked their steak well done, and would just as soon bread it and fry it as roast or grill, or grind it for tacos. I get the feeling that there will be a lot of grilled elk between now and an empty freezer.
I usually mix my own, but I got lazy this go round. My bad. It's really easy. I just spread out a sheet of Cutrite wax paper and sprinkle my seasonings on it in a criss-cross diagonal pattern. You can experiment with any number of internet rub recipes that way.

My favorite off the shelf rub is Pappy's. It's been locally famous in the Fresno area for decades. You can get it on Amazon. I took my last jar to my folks on our AZ trip last month and left it there. I like the blue "less salt" version.

Here's a Pappy's rubbed beef ribeye roast from a few Christmases back.

IMG_0387.JPG

I usually mix my own, but I got lazy this go round. My bad. It's really easy. I just spread out a sheet of Cutrite wax paper and sprinkle my seasonings on it in a criss-cross diagonal pattern. You can experiment with any number of internet rub recipes that way.

My favorite off the shelf rub is Pappy's. It's been locally famous in the Fresno area for decades. You can get it on Amazon. I took my last jar to my folks on our AZ trip last month and left it there. I like the blue "less salt" version.

Here's a Pappy's rubbed beef ribeye roast from a few Christmases back.

View attachment 179817

Looks delicious! Pappy’s is pretty good. I prefer to use Susie Qs and have recently starting using Meat Church seasonings for off the shelf stuff. The Holy Voodoo is awesome.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back