Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

East Coast Hunter in Maryland

WaltherPPJ

Hello everybody. I have been creeping in the background for a couple months so I thought I would introduce myself. I'm Joe, in my early 30's, born and raised in western NY and now live in Maryland outside of Washington, D.C. I am primarily an archery hunter chasing deer and bear on the East Coast (VA, MD, PA, NY), but I have also been a bit of a trout/steelhead/salmon bum most of my life. I have really gotten into backpack-hunting over the past five years, and have plans to head out west to get after elk, or at the very least enjoy the scenery.

I'm looking forward to taking advantage of HT as a resource as I plan my hunt(s) and learn more about hunting, but also to be a resource for anybody looking to connect on the East Coast. So, if you're in the Central Maryland/Mid-Atlantic area and are interested in getting into some backcountry hunting adventures, hit me up.

Thanks everybody!

VAspeedgoat - I'm in the Gaithersburg MD area, just outside DC. I lived in Arlington for 5 years and hunted CF Phelps & GR Thompson WMAS & GWNF. I still get down to CF Phelps in the spring every year for a 5-day squirrel camp trip. Where are you based out of in VA?

Thanks everybody!

VAspeedgoat - I'm in the Gaithersburg MD area, just outside DC. I lived in Arlington for 5 years and hunted CF Phelps & GR Thompson WMAS & GWNF. I still get down to CF Phelps in the spring every year for a 5-day squirrel camp trip. Where are you based out of in VA?

I'm over in the valley near Harrisonburg. I've never hunted phelps but I've got a funny story on thompson. Dad and I hunted it late when I was a kid. We never read the regs far enough to realize it had a different season than the rest of the county. Two grouse hunters let us know. We were pretty rattled but not as much as seeing the robo deer just down the road. We sat there watching it dumbfounded when the lady warden stood up in a gillie suit and asked us to move along. Needless to say we didn't elaborate on our screw up.

Have you ever hunted sika on the shore?

I'm over in the valley near Harrisonburg. I've never hunted phelps but I've got a funny story on thompson. Dad and I hunted it late when I was a kid. We never read the regs far enough to realize it had a different season than the rest of the county. Two grouse hunters let us know. We were pretty rattled but not as much as seeing the robo deer just down the road. We sat there watching it dumbfounded when the lady warden stood up in a gillie suit and asked us to move along. Needless to say we didn't elaborate on our screw up.

Have you ever hunted sika on the shore?

Yea, VA is one of the trickier states to keep the Rules and Regs straight that I've found on the east coast.

I haven't hunted the Sikas so far, but I am actually looking into it for this upcoming season on a couple patches of public. I am going to try to get out and scout for a day in Jul/Aug to see what the access/terrain is like. Those tidal marshes will be a new animal to me, and I'm wondering how mobility/visibility will be.

Yea, VA is one of the trickier states to keep the Rules and Regs straight that I've found on the east coast.

I haven't hunted the Sikas so far, but I am actually looking into it for this upcoming season on a couple patches of public. I am going to try to get out and scout for a day in Jul/Aug to see what the access/terrain is like. Those tidal marshes will be a new animal to me, and I'm wondering how mobility/visibility will be.

I agree about it being different. I'm curious if a canoe can help or is practical. My problem is making time to get away during the rut. I've heard they are pretty hard to hunt other than that. Well, unless you hunt a feeder on private ground.

Keep me posted if you don't mind. I don't need a map just some practical do's and don'ts.

I agree about it being different. I'm curious if a canoe can help or is practical. My problem is making time to get away during the rut. I've heard they are pretty hard to hunt other than that. Well, unless you hunt a feeder on private ground.

Keep me posted if you don't mind. I don't need a map just some practical do's and don'ts.

Will do - I'll let you know how I make out and lessons learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back