MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ducks or snow geese?

You could look into hunting snows up in Canada, also. I have a friend that goes up every year and they shoot hundreds of birds. Apparently, if the land isn't posted "No hunting" or "No trespassing", you can legally hunt it, even if it's private. I would guess it might be harder to catch snows in Canada in the spring, but I have never looked into it.

When we went to Canada we always asked for permission. We always hunted Saskatchewan for the opportunity at Cranes. The landowners were pretty good about letting you hunt. They know where the birds are are really welcome the extra money into the economy. The local economy depends on it! Many landowners gave us rides to other property they own that are holding birds. They are quite social and very helpful. Just pick up your empty's! I will be bringing my son up there in the next year or so. Its not like every day is lights out. You have some hunts that are a bust. If you get some wind, oh my!

I see you are from Iowa. I have done both, Arkansas timber, MS and SD for snows.

All hunting is hit or miss on weather, time of year, etc. I would say this comes into play even more with water fowling.

Both are great hunts. I think the Timber down in AR is a little more consistent and different style than what you would have here in Iowa.

The spring snow goose hunters are intense and lend to some days of shooting high volume. Also the this will be more cost effective and closer for you to drive. The guides can be really hit or miss on these. I have done it both ways, DIY and guided.

If you do a guide try to do SD later in the year when the juvy's are around. Find a guide that scouts and chases birds. Several guides just lease fields and set up. Good flight day great shooting terrible flight day you sit and watch the sky's. Typically these guys will tell you to book 3 days so you can get in one good shoot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back