Duck Hunters Missing on Mississippi River

That's terrible. The meateater crew recently posted about an incident in the 40's when 85 duck hunters got caught in a storm.

Such a tragic story it just goes to show us what we do and love can be dangerous in a blink of an eye.

There is actually a book on the 40s storm and loss. I just read it a while back. Great book "Wings in the Wind" the armistice day storm of 1940.

Such a tragic story it just goes to show us what we do and love can be dangerous in a blink of an eye.

There is actually a book on the 40s storm and loss. I just read it a while back. Great book "Wings in the Wind" the armistice day storm of 1940.
An interesting story. Recall the duck hunter lad who survived because his family's two Labs laid on both sides and provided enough warmth to keep him alive. The same storm earlier wiped out the flawed design Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Everyone has seen the footage of the bridge whipping itself to pieces. The storm crossed the Rocky Mountains in less than two hours! The irony is the Mississippi River duck hunters knew a storm was coming. That's why they went out, to catch birds on the move. But they had no idea how severe it would become. Because the temps dropped fifty degrees during the day, most hunters were not dressed for a blizzard and could not get off the river once it struck. Poor communication from U.S. Weather Bureau was largely to blame.

I continue to check on this story every day. It will be 2 years this coming February that I lost my son at the age of 24. It's beyond awful to loss a young child. Prayers for these families.

I continue to check on this story every day. It will be 2 years this coming February that I lost my son at the age of 24. It's beyond awful to loss a young child. Prayers for these families.

I hope the family gets some closure soon and I'm truly sorry for your loss.

I just pray they are able to find the bodies to give the families some closure. What a terrible feeling it must be.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back