Drew Wy 98-1 Elk Tag

Jim G

I drew a 98-1 elk tag and have no experience in the area and was hoping someone out there might be able to help me out. Could anyone help with some starting points to start scouting around this spring and summmer? Are most of the elk from the unit in the wilderness in the NE part of the unit? I am interested in archery hunting first and then using a rifle if needed. I no longer have any horses and if the majority of the elk are in the wilderness, I will have to have a guide anyways. I would rather do it on my own but if anyone knows a guide in this area, please let me know. Thanks for any help or advise some of you may be able to provide.

Jim,
Most of the elk are in the NE part of the unit. They do not come down low until late in Oct/ beginning of Nov. If I had that tag I would go into the wildnerness. You can find elk outside it but like you know, easier access = lots of hunters. Your best bet would be to find an outfitter for there but I've never seen any in 98. I know in the unit north of you (97) the Skinner bros had a hunting camp for lots of years, but they sold it a couple years ago. You might want to contact them, they might guide there now, or they can probably tell you who does. Here is their website:

http://www.windrivertrophyhunts.com/

I backpack every summer in that part of the wind's so I'll send you any info I find this summer/fall about where the elk are.

EL

btw, why did you put in for 98 without prior expierence? it seems like a waste of points to me as you could of drawn other areas w/ a chance at a bigger bull.

thanks for the replys. I probably didn't make the best decision and now that I have the tag, I am kind of regretting it, but I picked 98 due to the fact that it is somewhat close to home (ogden, ut), I have spent time around fontenelle hunting sage grouse and antelope, and just like the area. I knew there was wilderness in the unit but figured that there has to be elk outside of it too, but like you said, there will be more people too. Maybe the guide idea will be the best. Does anybody know any residents that drew the same tag too that maybe I could hook up with to get around the wilderness/guide restriction. thanks again for any help.

I know the rifle season starts Sept 20, but when has it ended in the past?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back