Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Drew a Montana Alternate Tag

Muleyslyr

Just thought I'd let out a yell that I drew a Landowner Alternate tag. I got an "in" on a lease just NW of Lewistown and put in for a landowner only deer tag in March but didn't get drawn.

I immediately put my name on the Alternates List. Got notified last week that there was 11 leftover tags and I was one of the lucky recepients. Eleven out of 160 something guys....I'll take it.

I was really bummed at the possibility of not being able to go back to MT. this year. This lease thing is all new to me so not sure were it will all lead, but I'm excited to find out. :D

Well you guys might not care....but there's a deer runnin' around out there with some bone on his head that's gonna care come November. :p

Let me be the first Montana to congratulate you on getting some private land leased up for NR hunting. Very happy for you.;):D

Geez...you guys are nicer than I thought. ;) Miller does that mean you wouldn't want to meet up for a cold one so some of my Non-resident money can go back into the resident community? :D ;)

Technically I'm not taking away anyones oppurtunity...at least the way I see it. My good buddy and his brother are friends with a guy that owns property in MT. They along with 6 other guys have hunted the there for the last 4yrs. One guy dropped, and they asked my if I was interested. Being that I drew the combo last yr. I figured my chances this year would not be good so I thought I'd give it a shot.

They only get two landowner tags....everyone else is trying for general deer tag. Out of 8 guys they average 3 bucks a year off there.

I'm fully aware of the problems with residents losing land and oppurtunity to hunt over there. And even as a Non-resident that bothers me.

Honestly...Would you say, with the situation I'm in, I'm adding to the problem??

Honestly...Would you say, with the situation I'm in, I'm adding to the problem??

You really have to ask? Let your conscience be your guide but if you think your couple hundred bucks of beer is keep our entire economy afloat guess what I buy by stuff here 12 months out of the year vs your week. Who do you think puts more into the local economy.

I have no problem with NR hunters but every time I hear talk about how they are the only reason us poor residents get to eat I want to puke.

Nemont

Muleyslayer, they already have a block management program. There would be more land enrolled if it was not for leaseing and puke outfitters leasing up more than they should.

Geez...you guys are nicer than I thought. ;) Miller does that mean you wouldn't want to meet up for a cold one so some of my Non-resident money can go back into the resident community? :D ;)

Technically I'm not taking away anyones oppurtunity...at least the way I see it. I'm fully aware of the problems with residents losing land and oppurtunity to hunt over there. And even as a Non-resident that bothers me.

Yeh, I am a sure thing for a beer, save the tag and buy me a 12.:D As for the opportunity lost, very debatable.

Are you adding to the problem???duh.:D Would I do the same, yep.

In the end, congrats. I hope you once again have a great hunt and I hope you share it with us.

I have no problem with NR hunters but every time I hear talk about how they are the only reason us poor residents get to eat I want to puke.

Nemont

Could've fooled me! Or you only have a problem with how they get their tags?

I hope your "poor residents get to eat" comment is directed towards me. I never implied that. Just tried to make a little light of the situation over a beer.

Muleyslayer, they already have a block management program. There would be more land enrolled if it was not for leaseing and puke outfitters leasing up more than they should.

Fully aware of that. Puke outfitters aside....if someone owns 20,000 acres over there don't they have the right to either donate that, or portion of, to the block manangement program or lease it out to a "private party".....or just don't hunt it at all. As a non-resident, I don't make that choice.

I guess I'm tired of everyone blaming the non-residents. Maybe the landowners should keep it to themselves then I'd never have the oppurtunity I had this year. No biggy to me....I'll just put in for the non-resi Big Game Combo every year like I've done for the last 10yrs. Some yrs. I get drawn....some yrs. I don't. This year I happen to take a different oppurtunity that was presented to me.

I like out-a-staters here...

They keep my tags low... :D

With every thing (unless I get drawn for Bison), I'll be out about $100 for every thing... :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back