Male or Female Dog

• Male

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Female

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Both - Doesn't Matter

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters
All male smaller breeds until we started with Golden Retrievers ...the males were a mixed bag until a pair of poodles. Harley and Tate were great...feisty, well behaved, and loving. The Golden girls were better than great. Empty nest currently, prolly stay that way...

Male or Female Poll

Add why if you'd like
I've had several of both. Currently, I'm on the list for one of 4 golden puppies in a litter in someone's living room in San Diego, CA. Which one is up to the breeder. She will match me with whatever pup is best suited to my needs and preferences. Being flexible on gender makes it easier and more likely, that one of those pups is coming my way.

Picking a breeder and rearer that knows how to raise puppies and pick them, is more important that which gender you pick and as important, in my opinion, as blood lines.

Whatever the gender, the dog will remain intact as long as possible, which should be a lifetime barring medical complications. Hormones matter and are greatly beneficial through out life.

Pick your breeder carefully and with lots of homework.

I do wish my male wouldn’t mark as much. He’s intact and that won’t be changing at this point.
I think based off of responses that there is no correct answer.

After 2 male chessapeaks, we now have a female. They were all great family dogs that picked up training easily. But the female is just the best. Smarter and more obedient. And doesn't need to pee on everything. Including the neighbors stuff.
We are not professional breeders so have our dogs fixed

I’ve had 4 labs in my lifetime. The first was a male. He was a great hunter, but he liked to wander. If I took my attention away from him for a second he was gone. My last 3 have all been females. I never have had to worry about any of my females wandering off. Plus, I have found out that if you’re hunting in a group and there are male dogs with the group, they are pretty much done hunting. All that’s on their mind is trying to breed the female, who is hunting her ass off.

Attachments

• IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 13
I've had dozens of hunting hounds. There are individual differences, but in general I always thought the females were a bit easier to handle, better behaved, etc.

Everything said by each respondent is true including all of those which seem to contradict one another. I'm on lab #5 (2 females and 3 males) and looking for a 6th (female). Each one unique. All I am sure of is that I would give anything to have them all back again.😢

Current best friend is Ryker, all male. He is #6 for me. Even split of Labradors 3 females, 3 males.
Me too Goatshoes; I would give anything to have each one of back - they were all the best dogs one could hope to share time with.

Back