Caribou Gear Tarp

Does Camouflage Really Work

I've killed critters all over the globe, some while wearing camo and some not.

I remember one year I took my son pronghorn antelope hunting with me. We both had our required 400 sq inches of orange on and we were sitting in front of some sagebrush along with my golden retriever. We were maybe 20 yards from a barb wire fence and we watched a buck and half dozen doe antelope walk over 1/4 mile along that right by us and they went close enough by us that we could hear them munching as they were eating behind us.

Another year, same son and both of us wearing our pumpkin orange, and a different golden retriever were sitting in some rocks overlooking a high basin in one of the unlimited sheep units when another half dozen young rams and ewes fed by us and again they were close enough that we could hear them munching as they fed by us.

In both of those cases we were sitting in the open but our outline was broken by vegetation or rocks, and we didn't move.

For many years I had a favorite yellow plaid shirt and jeans that I wore on many hunts including these elk, moose and Unlimited rams...
siB12I3l.jpg

sYhdaLTl.jpg

WgGp4MYl.jpg

GIs2cU8l.jpg

Wearing head to toe camo with a orange hat and vest is a bit of a headscratcher to me. Bowhunting is maybe a bit different.

With that said, Kuiu Vias has got to be about the worst camo pattern I've ever seen. Yea I'm sure it blends in on a rare occasion but damn near every single time I see a grip and grin pic with someone wearing it, it just sticks out terribly.

Deer vision...

1637253673077.png1637253680498.png
1637254426693.png

I have a complete set of almost every piece Sitka makes. The fit and function is superb, but does it work? I honestly don’t know how well their patterns work, but after seeing (or not seeing) my sons in the timber with their Kuiu gear, I am a believer in that pattern.

If I didn’t already have such a bunch of Sitka, I would have Kuiu...

View attachment 199225
Depends on the context. Stop and stalk archery pronghorn I'd say it's very necessary. Rifle hunting black bear on the other hand, I role with alot of earth tone solids.

I have a complete set of almost every piece Sitka makes. The fit and function is superb, but does it work? I honestly don’t know how well their patterns work, but after seeing (or not seeing) my sons in the timber with their Kuiu gear, I am a believer in that pattern.

If I didn’t already have such a bunch of Sitka, I would have Kuiu...

View attachment 199225
Sitka open country is great camo
Used it for several years now !

The biggest improvement in hunting gear is not rifles , calibers or glass but in hunting clothing and boots ! Do camo patterns work , I’m sure they help and certainly don’t hurt! I like Sitka gear because it fits great and performs well. I have the optifade elevated II but it’s mostly about the clothing than pattern. Here in the east it’s about scent control and quiet clothing and damp weather. We have to wear hunter orange during the firearm seasons so that takes away the camo effectiveness but I’m warm and stay in the field comfortable , if you chuckle it’s because you don’t understand What’s important !

Oddly enough when I tell my girl I just bought more camo I end up not seeing her for a few days. Need to ask her what brand she uses….

Back