Caribou Gear

Does anyone carry tools to clear a barrel obstruction (mud, etc)?

I put a length of weedeater line in my pack. Heat up about 3/8” of one end and mash it flat to about your bullet size.

The theory being you can force that line through the mud obstruction. Having done that you figure out a patch to thread onto the line, the glob you melted will act as a jag to hold the patch.

I use tape as my confidence is low on the string thing. I do keep a bore snake in camp.

I put a length of weedeater line in my pack. Heat up about 3/8” of one end and mash it flat to about your bullet size.

The theory being you can force that line through the mud obstruction. Having done that you figure out a patch to thread onto the line, the glob you melted will act as a jag to hold the patch.

I use tape as my confidence is low on the string thing. I do keep a bore snake in camp.
Bore a hole in a foam earplugs and thread that on as a jag. Test this at home a few times!

I’ve been trying to be better about wearing yak trap on my boots. When I’m hunting in snow and frozen conditions. They are like tire chains for your feet.
Kahtoola Micro spikes for the win! Most comfortable supportive boots I own are lousy on wet and snow. The Kahtoola micro spikes make a D-7 Caterpillar out of me.

Take a coil of round weed eater line about three feet long. Take a lighter to one end to ball it up a bit. The other end cut at a sharp angle and thread a dozen properly sized patches on it. Coil it up and stash it deep in your pack.

I missed your comment before I typed mine! I like the way you think!

I tape the muzzle with electrical tape, but I also keep a small "universal" cleaning kit and keep that in the truck, just in case.

That might work for the cannons you shoot, but have you ever tried finding a sub-6.5mm cattail or willow? 😀
6.5mm???

Unless your talking of the 6.5X55 Swede, 6.5-06, or the 6.5-300 WBY Mag then my answer is such.

Your names NOT Jesus Christ.

And if it was, the Blessed Mother herself would say "GET A HAIRCUT, HIPPIE!". :D

Now carry your rifle at port arm 20 times around the house and repeat after me.
This is my rifle.
This is my gun.
This is for fighting.
This is for fun.
:LOL:

In all seriousness though, i use electric tape on the muzzle.

Back