Caribou Gear

Doe Antelope Caliber

SDS14

Hey Folks,

I drew a doe antelope tag in Northeast Utah after 6 years of applying. This is my first antelope hunt ever and I am concerned that my 7mm Rem. Mag will be a little too much gun for Doe antelope. Do you agree? What's your thoughts on using a 223 for hunting doe antelope, is that too small of a caliber? I appreciate your opinion and feedback.

Thanks,

-SDS14

I use a 300WM on antelope, and everything else. If a softer shooting rifle gets you better shot placement, then use it. I don't see a minimum caliber for UT, but make sure you have the correct bullets. I hate to waste any meat, but front shoulders on antelope are pretty small, so even if its not a direct hit, there is likely some bloodshot meat nearby.

Either will be fine, assuming the 223 Rem is legal for use for pronghorn.

Either way you're going to want to avoid hitting the shoulder. The 7mm Rem Mag will destroy it and the 223 Rem may lack the penetration to get through the shoulder and into the vitals. Unless you handload some Barnes projectiles in 223, then it'll penetrate the shoulder just fine.

7stw, I’ve used 180 bergers, 140 tsx, and 143 hammers. Frontal is my preferred shot but they need to be straight on or it makes a mess.

Hey Folks,

I drew a doe antelope tag in Northeast Utah after 6 years of applying. This is my first antelope hunt ever and I am concerned that my 7mm Rem. Mag will be a little too much gun for Doe antelope. Do you agree? What's your thoughts on using a 223 for hunting doe antelope, is that too small of a caliber? I appreciate your opinion and feedback.

Thanks,

-SDS14
7mmRM is not "too much gun" with the right bullet. My S-I-L has taken several with TTSX bullets with minimal meat loss.

I would say any modern cartridge with .243 dia. bullet or up that is designed for hunting should be just fine. .223 seems light, but I am sure many have been taken that way.

If I only had the two options I would go 7mmRM. If I could have a third option, .243 Win, 6mm Creedmoor, 25-06Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 7mm08Rem, or .270Win would be better matched cartridges to pronghorn.

Last edited:
A bigger caliber and bullet doesn’t make any more mess on an antelope than a smaller caliber as long as you don’t hit the major bones. My wife shot 2 lope through the lungs last fall with 168 grain vld’s from the 7mm with hardly any meat damage. Just destroyed lungs.

An Antelope killed by a .223 with multiple holes in it will have more meat damage than a single 7mm.

.223 projectiles tend to not be as durable and more frangible than other larger caliber bullets. While Antelope are not particularly big boned, I am impressed by how they can soak up lead if not CNS shocked. The 7mm will perform better at long distance through a crosswind.

I'd use the 7mm, especially if you'll be shooting farther.

My wife shot a doe antelope with a .223 63grain pointed soft point. The shot was quartering away slightly and was 100 yards. No reaction. I handed her my .300wm and she killed it. The .223 had hit it perfectly, mushroomed and went to the opposite skin...the thing would have died, but I wasn't impressed for it being only 100 yards.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back