Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Doe Antelope Caliber

Being a resident of NE Utah, I’m assuming you drew a unit with quite a bit of oilfield activity. The antelope aren’t skittish and your shot will be close (leave the high-end camo at home and wear oilfield attire). 😉

.223 in the boiler room will be plenty!
Seeing how the majority of antelope hunters (not neccesarily including the OP) can shoot a box of ammo on a single tag hunt and come home empty handed, I deem this advice and entire thread "impish."
tenor_15269966_mediumgif_474561996327789.gif

I shot a doe with my Mossberg MVP predator chambered in 5.56/.223 years ago, first shot At ~200 first shot was a pass through, follow up shot at ~250 was also a pass through, I was shooting 60 or 62 grain Federal Fusion loads.

Beg to differ, In the right situations with the right bullets, the 223 works just fine for deer size game. My buddy had his 6 year old use my AR, with some handloaded 55 gr hornady spire points I had laying around to shoot his first deer last year. Lung shot, 40 yd run and a dead deer with 2 holes in him. I see this happen every season. You'd be surprised how many whitetails fall to a 223 every fall for kids. If it'll handle a whitetail, its fine on a 90 lb doe antelope.
Come on, you can say that about any caliber. Heck a 22 LR can kill an elk with the right bullet and the right shot. Does that make it an ethical choice? No, but that's just my opinion.

I'd use the 223 just for fun, and the extra challenge of having to get closer. Unless you're limited on time, then use the 7mm so you can be done with your hunt as soon as possible. I agree with what others have said- don't take a shot more than 200 yards with the 223.

I would use the 223 with full metal jacket rounds, only if the pronghorn was a known terrorist, and by wounding her she would need the assistance of her other conspirators which would distract them temporarily from returning fire. If your intention is to deprive her from going to heaven and being rewarded 10 virgins, then I think you are spot on.

Otherwise, use the 7mm

The 7mm isn't overkill. You can't kill it too dead. I'd shoot monolithic bullets to minimize meat loss.

To use a .223 in Wyoming bullet must weigh 60 grains or more. A little harder to find at least in the Midwest. I like .243 or any caliber you shoot well. A good shot is better than a poor one with a cannon. Practice and know your comfortable range and stay in that.

My neighbor use a 223 for deer and antelope every year. He pretty much fills his tag with his coyote gun when he is checking cows. He killed his goat at 380yrd a couple of years ago. I worked with a few guys that like using a 223 case necked up to 6mm with a 75gr bullet. I think it's plenty.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back