Dodge Cummins ?????'s

Goldtip

2005 3/4t, quad cab 4x4, 85,000 miles. Bone stock except for 5" exhaust. Two times in the last week, while coasting up to a stop sign, the truck will just shudder. The whole truck. Best way I can describe it is like I am driving over a patch of rumble strips. Then it's gone. Have coated up to many stop signs over the last week and doesn't happen. No loss of power, no loss of fuel mileage, starts and idles fine. No tranny slipping I can feel, fluid looks good and is not burnt in the tranny. No loud noises or whining I can hear coming from engine, transfer case or the tranny. No shimmy or vibrations driving down the highway. Anyone with any idea's where to look first?

My dad who drives a powerstroke, said his did the same thing off and on over a period of 6-9 months and finally when it started doing it regularly he took it in and it was a sticky turbo bearing? That sounds reasonable to anyone?

moisture?

That's my guess-But, go over to Dodge Forum those guys love these puzzles. luck to u

With this being an erratic driveability problem it is going to be very hard to diagnose online unless it is a very common problem with these trucks. No CEL I presume?
I can give you a few thoughts but don't feel offended as I don't know the accuracy of your description or skill level so some of my thoughts might be way off.

If it is motor caused it can be anything that would make the engine Idle low for a split sec.

IF the 05 has a variable geometry turbo then yes it may be sticking in a more open position causing the motor to stumble momentarily.(Like is common with the Pstrokes and Dmax)

Is it common rail? A drop in fuel pressure upon deceleration can sometimes cause a stumble like you are describing. When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? If more than 15k start there. Seriously.

If it is trans caused it may be the the toque converter shuttering while down shifting or a solenoid that is slow to downshift and lugging the engine. If you suspect the trans I would take it in and have the ecm and tcm re flashed then drive it for a while to see if the problem reoccurs.

If its chassis caused it may be something as simple as a brake shutter on ball joints/tie rod ends /drag links wobbling during deceleration. This can sometimes happen because during deceleration weigh transfers to the front end and changes the pressure and geometry of the components and you get symptoms that are not happening during acceleration or cruising.

Good luck, with such a vague problem I think you are going to need a hands on diagnosis.

it ain't no sticky turbo bearing--sounds like death wobble kind of--check your front end for worn bushings, loose bolts, etc.....check your driveshaft also....and I agree it could be the tranny also having issues trying to downshift----good luck

To be clear I am saying the VGT may be sticking not a turbo bearing. I am sure that's what your dad was talking about.

Let us know what you find out I will be curious.

Thanks guys, from what I can ascertain from further internet research, it appears I have developed a mild form of the "death wobble" which is something there has been a recall issued for on my year of truck. I will check into it further and let everyone know the result!

If you need to know how to check the ball joints, tie rod ends and such for the source of the wobble let me know.

make sure to check the front u joints. just had mine replaced on my '07. shakes gone.

Read this a little late but if you haven't got it solved yet start with u joints and carrier bearing in the rear drive line. Mine did the same thing at around 50,000 no noticeable slop but just enough wear to cause the rumble strip thing when slowing to a stop.

Had that same sensation on two vehicles and was the tranny both times. You may want to drain the fluid and see what it looks like.

Back