Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

DIY Western Bear Hunt Tips

JdGoodhart

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about doing a DIY western black bear hunt this spring. Any tips on how I should start planning or gear i might need. This would be my first backcountry hunt.

Thanks!

1) pick a state
2) bring a spotting scope
That's the jist. Plan on getting a little wet. No need to backpack most places, can if you want. Bring beer for late night recovery. Download a podcast or two for sitting. As long as you're self sufficient in the woods and don't mind your own company it's about impossible not to have fun.

Choosing the state can help us give you more info.

#3) cruise the mountain trails to check out multiple spots. This can be done by bike, truck, etc just depending on the rules

I'm looking into montana as well. Heard the northwest corner is the best part. Thinking about wether or not its worth bring a side by side or just drive the truck. Any advice?

My son and I are in the middle of planning a trip to Idaho. Once you settle on a state the next job is deciding on a GMU. This process is not only overwhelming it is basically impossible. I have decided we just need to get out there and see the country - one big general scouting trip, We will have tags and hopefully can put our selves in a position to meet a bear, but the real reason for the trip is for the next hunt.

I'm looking into montana as well. Heard the northwest corner is the best part. Thinking about whether or not its worth bring a side by side or just drive the truck. Any advice?

Great bear density, but the forest is super think and glassing is difficult... hunting up there is more walking logging roads forever.

Rinella poo-pooing bear hunting in NW Montana was the best thing that ever happened to it.

Great bear density, but the forest is super think and glassing is difficult... hunting up there is more walking logging roads forever.

Have a trip planned for NW Montana this spring. This quote has me worried, not because I don't want to walk. Just makes it feel like it next to impossible to find the needle in the haystack when you can't even see in..

Have a trip planned for NW Montana this spring. This quote has me worried, not because I don't want to walk. Just makes it feel like it next to impossible to find the needle in the haystack when you can't even see in..

There are tons of places to glass in NW Montana.

Food sources will be limited in the spring. Glass hillsides, specifically looking for open grassy areas where they will come out and feed. Plenty of YouTube videos showing exactly this method.

Bait bait where legal, bring them to you. Late May or early June. PM me if you want to hunt Idaho.

Try predator calls.
Most of PA hunts by doing drives.
Me, myself, and i used a fawn call.
Bear came in, would have helped if i'd done my part.

Do any of the states bordering CO have spring seasons?

Co has a plethora of bears.

I saw multiple bears everyday, so I wouldn’t worry about finding bears. It was just a bit different than I expected.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back