Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

DIY Elk hunting partner needed for SW Montana 2015

Thanks. You have a real nice camp setup. Wish I could take you up on the offer (if I passed muster of course) but the wife and I are going back to Alaska next May for some fishing, touring, house hunting and meeting up with a couple of friends. THEN, just a week or so after getting home I'm headed out to Idaho for a bear hunt with a good buddy of mine from there. That will pretty much wipe out most of my vacation time for work except for deer season here at home. Hope you find a good partner to head out with on the trip!

Sounds fun

Thanks. You have a real nice camp setup. Wish I could take you up on the offer (if I passed muster of course) but the wife and I are going back to Alaska next May for some fishing, touring, house hunting and meeting up with a couple of friends. THEN, just a week or so after getting home I'm headed out to Idaho for a bear hunt with a good buddy of mine from there. That will pretty much wipe out most of my vacation time for work except for deer season here at home. Hope you find a good partner to head out with on the trip!

Thanks
It sounds like you have a fun year planned.
my friend that is retiring in 2016 is planning a 6 week trip to Alaska with his Wife too.

Kevin

Definitely interested. Have the time and all the stock we could use. Live in eastern Washington. Just learning to use this computer. Please reply if I did this right.

To Far

Definitely interested. Have the time and all the stock we could use. Live in eastern Washington. Just learning to use this computer. Please reply if I did this right.

Poor packer
you did it right, but I am looking for a hunting partner that lives in Michigan or a neighboring State within 5 hours or less of me.
I need to be able to meet the person to make sure that we will get along, and have similar hunting styles and Ethics.

Thanks
Kevin

If I ;leave my dirty socks on the floor will I have to then sleep in my truck???From the looks of it you bring someone along for the maid service so I should be good
Just messing with you.Thats a nice camp but probably too nice for me,and I'm too far away

Maid

If I ;leave my dirty socks on the floor will I have to then sleep in my truck???From the looks of it you bring someone along for the maid service so I should be good
Just messing with you.Thats a nice camp but probably too nice for me,and I'm too far away

mixedbag
I think that you would make a good hunting partner, it sounds like your Wife already has you trained too. lol.
to bad your to far away.
Definitely not looking for a maid, But a good partner understands that on a DIY hunt, everyone involved has chores to do at Camp.

Kevin

Camp Menu

I guess that I need to do something to tempt someone close to me.
This is a average Elk Camp Menu.
The Ribs, Steaks and burgers are all cooked on a charcoal grill.

Dinner

1M Chili
1T Hamburgers & Fries
1W Roast Beef with mashed potatoes gravy and corn
1TH Tacos
1F BQ Ribs with baked potatoes and corn
1S Ham with potatoes and green beans
1Sun Hot Beef Sandwiches & Mashed potatoes, corn
2M Spaghetti and garlic bread
2T Rib eye Steaks with Fries or baked potato?
2W Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes
2TH Slum Guey & Rolls
2F Hamburgers & Fries

Breakfast

French toast and sausage
Pancakes and sausage
Biscuits and gravy and Hash Browns
Scrambled eggs with ham and potatoes
Eggs, Bacon and hash browns

Nice camp. Looks a lot like mine but mine is based on a 12X20 Alaknak II with a vestibule for the shower and potty. As a fellow non-smoker/non-drinker, I would hunt with you anytime. Unfortunately, I'm geographically undesirable in AZ.

Thank You

Nice camp. Looks a lot like mine but mine is based on a 12X20 Alaknak II with a vestibule for the shower and potty. As a fellow non-smoker/non-drinker, I would hunt with you anytime. Unfortunately, I'm geographically undesirable in AZ.

Thank You sagebrush.
My nephew lives in AZ. too.
He has tried to talk me into applying for a Elk license there too, but with my age, I think that I would be to old by the time I ever drew a tag.
when I hunted Colorado, He use to meet me there, but I guess he thinks MT is to far.
He lives just south of you in Casa Grande.

Kevin

I have had several people ask me about stopping and picking them up on the way.
that really just won't work.
I pull a 6' x 14' tandem axel Cargo Trailer out to haul all the gear, in the front of the Trailer is a 11 cu. ft. chest freezer, that almost all the Camp food goes out in.
and the Elk come home in.
if we had to get to that freezer on the way home to get to someone's Elk when dropping them off, 1/2 the Trailer would have to be unloaded to get to it. and then reloaded so I could go on home.
So we really need to leave from my house.

Kevin

I started meeting a couple of the people that are interested in this hunt this week, to see how we get along and get to know them some.
I plan on meeting with everyone that is interested in person, and then trying to pick the best hunting partner I can.
If, you are interested in this hunt let me know. Soon.

I really want to have this all figured out around the 1st of the year. so serious plans can be made.
plus the dead line to apply for the license is March 15th.

Kevin

I would like to thank everyone for their response.
I have decided to close this, between here and several other sources, I have 8 to 10 people to call and then meet over the next few weeks. This is twice as many as I thought I would have.
I don’t want to drag this out, or keep people wondering if they are going or not.

I hope to talk to everyone on the phone first, and then meet them in person, shortly after that.
My decision will be based totally on how we get along and hunting Ethics, weather you have ever Elk hunted or not, will have nothing to do with my decision.

This is a DIY Elk hunt, but it is also a 2 week vacation in God’s Country, so I want to make sure I pick a partner that I know I will get along with and have a great time whether we get an Elk or not.

PS; if you sent me a PM, and didn’t include your phone# please do so, if you’re serious about going.

If for some reason; I don’t find the person I am looking for from this group, I may reopen this.

Thank You
Kevin

I found my Partner

Well after emailing back and forth with about 50 different guys, that helped narrow the list down to about 20 people, most were just not real serous, or just to far away.
Then phone calls to the other 20, narrowed it down to about 10. and after meeting them in person, and talking for several hours with each of them.
I believe that I have a Great hunting partner for 2015, when we meet and talked our styles, ethics and just overall attitude about hunting really matched.

I can't wait for 2015 now, is it October yet. lol

Kevin

Just a thought - You are looking for someone close so you can get together to see if the two of you can stand each other - I live in Houston and air fare from Houston to Detroit is less than $250 if you shop around - this is within the cost of driving 5 hours each way at 50c per mile. I am a retired engineer and dont drink or smoke - I have my own less elaborate outfit and have been hunting elk on my own since 2004.

Just a thought - You are looking for someone close so you can get together to see if the two of you can stand each other - I live in Houston and air fare from Houston to Detroit is less than $250 if you shop around - this is within the cost of driving 5 hours each way at 50c per mile. I am a retired engineer and dont drink or smoke - I have my own less elaborate outfit and have been hunting elk on my own since 2004.

You must have missed his post right above yours where Kevin said he's found the right guy for the hunt! Kevin's a good guy and I shot the bull with him for a couple hours over In Kalamazoo again a week ago. If I didn't go to Wyoming every year, I would have probably set something up with him myself! Good that you found someone and can relax now Kevin.

Last edited:
Thanks

You must have missed his post right above yours where Kevin said he's found the right guy for the hunt! Kevin's a good guy and I shot the bull with him for a couple hours over In Kalamazoo again a week ago. If I didn't go to Wyoming every year, I would have probably set something up with him myself! Good that you found someone and can relax now Kevin.

Thanks Mike
Next time you get into Kalamazoo let me know, and I will try to meet you so we can chat again.

Kevin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back