Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

DIY Elk Hunt in Payette NF

Kage88

Hey Guys,
I am looking for some intel on a good jumping off point for a spike hunt somewhere in the Payette NF preferably near Mcall or Yellow Pine. My buddy and i have hunted Oregon quite a bit but since we are no longer residents (reitred Military) it is just way to spendy to hunt there. I live in Alabama now so scouting is not an option for me.
Im not looking for anybody's honey-hole just some quality info on the area.

Thanks

Kage88

Hey Guys,
I am looking for some intel on a good jumping off point for a spike hunt somewhere in the Payette NF preferably near Mcall or Yellow Pine. My buddy and i have hunted Oregon quite a bit but since we are no longer residents (reitred Military) it is just way to spendy to hunt there. I live in Alabama now so scouting is not an option for me.
Im not looking for anybody's honey-hole just some quality info on the area.

Thanks

Kage88
Kage88, elk are by zones & tag types in Idaho. Archery is A tag & can include areas that have muzzel loader seasons also..etc, depends on zone. B tag is rifle/any weapon again depends if it is a draw area or general season. Mccall zone is good, general season, some others are better. Idaho has a lot of info, draw odds, harvest reports etc online. General elk season opens oct15 usually. Wilderness areas can be earlier & go longer. Deer general seasons usually are oct 10 & many go concurrent with elk, Mccall zone is that way. Yelow Pine, Big Creek, Sesech areas all have decent elk. Please carry a wolf tag, low priced & take a nice hide home, it will help the elk & deer a lot. You usually don't have to do just a spike tag for general seasons in Idaho.
Good luck

Cascade Hunter,
Thanks for the info, by spike hunt I mean packing in and hunting and camping as I go. I will be definitely looking for a mature Bull to harvest, I would hate to haul a spike or rag horn out of the wilderness.... LOL.
I will be rifle hunting and you can bet I will have a wolf tag as well as any other tag that I can use. Would you happen to have any suggestions as to places near yellow pine, Big Creek to take off from or to set up a base camp?
It wold be nice to have a base set up so that we could hunt for a few days and then return to camp to re-stock supplies, and have a cold beer...
Like I said I don't expect anybodys prime spot but if you could help us get into the ballpark that would be great.
Thanks

I'm a local that has scouted the McCall Zone some. I've hunted very close to the zone boundary. I don't think there's any magical parts of the unit you're talking according to my biologist buddy. The idea is to get away from roads and trails some distance and cover some ground with your glass.

Feel free to PM and I can share some thoughts. All through the elk season you'll need to be careful about snow conditions and the roads you're on. It's no joke back there in the remote areas and Central Idaho can get a foot of snow anytime after mid September. Not likely but something to plan for especially the later in the season you plan to hunt.

Myself and three buddies will be hunting the McCall zone for elk next October, any tips or suggestions as we begin the planning?

Myself and three buddies will be hunting the McCall zone for elk next October, any tips or suggestions as we begin the planning?
You didn't say if you are a resident or not. I will assume not.

1. Get your license and tags ASAP.
2. Get in shape. Idaho is steep. Assume the only flat ground is private.
3. Be very aware of the short range weapon restrictions in GMU 24.
4. OnX Hunt burn layer is your friend.
5. If you are on the Elk B Tag, get a Regular Deer tag.
6. You can use your NR deer or elk tag on predators if there is season open for them. The odds of seeing a bear are decent. It is best to watch a bear for a while if you can. More than once I've been ready to shoot and had cubs walk out.
7. Be prepared for any weather conditions.

Back