DIY Alaska Trip, Adak - Chugach (Pic Heavy)

Hudge76

Glad you had a great trip. I love looking out my window and seeing the Chugach.

Repair4

Man, congratulations on a great AK adventure and a full on Adak surf and turf! Adak can be finicky when it comes to weather, but as you mentioned, it looks like you nailed it for your hunt. It's not nearly as far out as it seems, huh? I hope you can get out to the Island again, as you saw there's so much to see and do and it looks like you guys did it right.

glass eye

Ps. I've heard that the military will be reclaiming the base, so there will be changes, don't know what they will be but they are coming. Get it while you can.

wllm1313

Yeah I heard they have been contemplating a LNG terminal there for North Slope production...

geetar

the land of Andy Griffith and Robert Ruark.
I was able to fly back with my caribou + some fish in just my carry-on using a roll top drybag in my packs meat-shelf and my yeti. Total baggage fees for the entire trip were $50 ($25 each way). Big gear winners from the trip were garmin inreach + phone with Onxmaps, solo hunter rifle cover (actually kept my rifle pretty dry while crossing a river in a pack raft), and sea to summit dry bags (brought a down bag on the trip and it never even got damp).

Really appreciate all the info glasseye, bambistew, and others shared with me the last couple of months. Hope everyone can get out there and do a dream trip!
Mad respect for this accomplishment and even more for just going for it man. Didn’t let nothing hold you back not even money and figured out how to do it. 👍

wllm1313

Mad respect for this accomplishment and even more for just going for it man. Didn’t let nothing hold you back not even money and figured out how to do it. 👍
Thanks man! Lots of great knowledge on this forum, if you really want to make a hunt happen and are on a budget the folks here will definitely help you figure out how to cut corners as much as possible.

jvanhoy

Not sure how I missed this one before. Awesome story and trip!