Caribou Gear

Disposable TV's

thomas89

Definitely a first world problem but ...

Looking like TV #2 in 5 years has died.

TV #1 was a Vizio that didn't make it 3 years, this one was a Samsung that didn't even make it to 2 years! Looking at repairing this one, parts alone are $100-$150 (depending on what's wrong...looking like T-CON board or main board) that doesn't include whatever labor the shop wants to charge. That's damn near 40% of what we paid for this stupid thing. Pretty frustrating to continually have to buy this garbage again and again, but it doesn't seem like it's worth it to repair them. I have no idea how my parents made it through my entire childhood with the same clunky 27" behemoth TV.

Oh well, guess I'll get it loaded up and pick up a case of 12 ga to shoot it into bits down at the local pit...only kidding.

I think it's the times of the Upgrade mentality a lot have with electronics. The want for people to always have the newest model means they're built really cheap. I mean you can get a 50" 4k smart TV for $300. 40 years ago a VCR was $300.
So true. I like to think I’m not upgrading so much as replacing at this point. I’d love nothing more than to hang a TV on the wall and leave it alone for all of eternity.

Currently looking at some of these ~$300 models, we tried the expensive route before and it didn’t do any good for us.

Is that tv mounted above a fireplace? The guy who installed our fireplace was adamant not to mount a tv above it if we didn’t want to replace it every 2-3 years. But we mounted one anyways about 3 weeks ago I guess only time will tell.

Is that tv mounted above a fireplace? The guy who installed our fireplace was adamant not to mount a tv above it if we didn’t want to replace it every 2-3 years. But we mounted one anyways about 3 weeks ago I guess only time will tell.
I had a 55" Vizio above the fireplace for 6+ years. Still doing fine when I replaced it with a 70". Now the 55 is a a tv for the shop. Mantle seemed to block the worst of the heat.

I think it's the times of the Upgrade mentality a lot have with electronics. The want for people to always have the newest model means they're built really cheap. I mean you can get a 50" 4k smart TV for $300. 40 years ago a VCR was $300.
I tend to think this is correct, makers are meeting demand at a place where replacement makes "more sense" than fixing.

Dang... I have 2 Visio TVs, one is 11 years the other is 12 or 14. I'm thinking of getting a new larger one, but now you have me second guessing throwing money away. 2-3 years longevity?
We're at 3 years on our current one, prior to that I think we had the same one for about 10-11.

Dang... I have 2 Visio TVs, one is 11 years the other is 12 or 14. I'm thinking of getting a new larger one, but now you have me second guessing throwing money away. 2-3 years longevity?
It seems I missed the "good" streak of Vizio's. Had a friend with one that has given them no issues in 10+ years. Mine ... not even close.
Nope no fire place. About the hardest this thing gets abused is shouting on Sundays at football and dirty looks during the Wiggles the rest of the week. It's frustrating to say the least.
Recently had to replace mine too. Hard to get hurt for $229 @ Costco, w/ free freight. Its a shockingly good TV.
I have NO affiliation w/ the TV company, Costco, or Amazon.

Hisense 50-Inch Class R6090G Roku 4K UHD Smart TV with Alexa Compatibility (50R6090G, 2020 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DN8S7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0XGHFbGYQTBRV
The exact brand we're looking at. Again, it's sad but the parts I'm guessing I'd need to replace cost almost half of that.

I tend to think this is correct, makers are meeting demand at a place where replacement makes "more sense" than fixing.
I feel this is across the board on just about every consumer product. Very few companies are building things so that you don't have to buy another one.

Plus operating systems and software updates that can keep pace with or outpace hardware production, better for companies that we keep buying new hardware that can support the new fancy OS or whatever.

Also I did not realize until reading this thread how cheap it is to obtain a new TV. I don't get into tech stuff, have had one TV since 2010, the other is a hand-me-down "flat" screen from 08. Already taken it to a TV repair store one time and it's still chugging. I think it might be time for a new TV at my house.

It seems I missed the "good" streak of Vizio's. Had a friend with one that has given them no issues in 10+ years. Mine ... not even close.

Nope no fire place. About the hardest this thing gets abused is shouting on Sundays at football and dirty looks during the Wiggles the rest of the week. It's frustrating to say the least.

The exact brand we're looking at. Again, it's sad but the parts I'm guessing I'd need to replace cost almost half of that.
That’s where I was at. I’m a guy who hates to throw stuff out, I looked into fixing it, it’d cost the same $$ to repair a 10 year old small tv as it did to buy a new, bigger, smart TV.
I chose to move forward.

Bought a 50" LG plasma TV somewhere around 8 years ago maybe? Had it for about 3 or 4 and the mother board went out. Paid about $200 to fix it and it's still going strong. Hate to see the day where it dies and I need to replace it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back