Did USSR (Eastern Bloc) Produce Solid Steel Bullet Ammo?

COEngineer

I saw a video of someone shooting an AK (not sure which variant) at night and there was a lot of sparks coming out of the end of the barrel. Someone said they must have been using old Soviet steel ammo. I know some 'cheap' ammo uses steel casings, but do any of them have solid steel bullets? I have heard of steel-core bullets aka armor-piercing, but never heard of solid steel bullets. Is that a thing? A quick google search did not answer this specific question so I figured I would ask the experts here.

Steel ammo is like you said, steel cased. I have never seen steel bullets, just steel core. The sparks were probably from it just being at night. and also the AK has a pretty short barrel

I saw a video of someone shooting an AK (not sure which variant) at night and there was a lot of sparks coming out of the end of the barrel. Someone said they must have been using old Soviet steel ammo. I know some 'cheap' ammo uses steel casings, but do any of them have solid steel bullets? I have heard of steel-core bullets aka armor-piercing, but never heard of solid steel bullets. Is that a thing? A quick google search did not answer this specific question so I figured I would ask the experts here.
Copper jacketed steel core. Sure. And certain mixed alloy jackets if i remember correctly. I'm definitely not an expert.

Edit: I obviously can't read today. schmalts et al are correct.

Cop killer bullets are made of that construction and are illegal if I’m not mistaken.

Copper jacketed steel.

I had a Webley in 38SW that shot so many sparks it looked like a Roman candle when shooting these ancient Remington LRN rounds. Think it’s just old powder?

There were a few Com Bloc countries that used steel jacketed ammo. Some did a copper wash, most did not. They did it because steel was cheaper than copper. Hard on barrels.

Steel core bullets are certainly a thing (AP). Bi metal jackets are another. Most of it comes from combloc surplus.

Neither one is truly steel on steel with the rifling. But bi metal is tougher on barrels.

I've done materials testing on the 7.64x54R. The round of interest had a mild steel core (not technically armor-piercing since the steel isn't hardened). Around the steel core is a lead filler. The jacket was steel with a thin copper coating. I shot quite a few rounds through a Mosin-Nagant in the process of testing various armor configurations against that round, but I don't recall noticing sparks. I do know from some high-speed camera data, that the bullet is glowing brightly when it leaves the barrel...maybe that's being seen by someone as sparks?

Steel core bullets are certainly a thing (AP). Bi metal jackets are another. Most of it comes from combloc surplus.

Neither one is truly steel on steel with the rifling. But bi metal is tougher on barrels.
Enough M2 ball has gilded mild steel jackets that many ranges test it with a magnet. Steel jackets are a fire hazard.

Back