Devil's club n moose

Akcabin

I've learned that I can bust off the devils club leaves n use them for imitating moose antlers. If they are still green break them n they will turn yellow in a day.
Scrape the thorns. I've used them several ways. When doing cow in heat calls I will wave one. Along with a light grunt or belch to imitate an immature bull. The small size along with trying to sound small. Not wanting to intimate a large bull into being cautious but enough to tee him off n feeling like a fight. Good to bring in cautious bulls when its getting dark.
When in a more open area I will hang one or two on a willow branch n let it wave in the wind. I also do this with a canoe paddle but I feel they are kinda big in size.
I've used them to pull in moose closer. As they get curious and see compition.
I once watched a mid 30s 3 year year old prancing back n forth 30 yards in front of me . Standing sideways trying to look big for 20 minutes while I stood there laughing. With a leaf above my head. He had never seen another bull like that.
P S. If you forget your bug spray crush up some alder leaves n rub them on.
Hey good luck, hope this helps while you take one make one

I've learned that I can bust off the devils club leaves n use them for imitating moose antlers. If they are still green break them n they will turn yellow in a day.
Scrape the thorns. I've used them several ways. When doing cow in heat calls I will wave one. Along with a light grunt or belch to imitate an immature bull. The small size along with trying to sound small. Not wanting to intimate a large bull into being cautious but enough to tee him off n feeling like a fight. Good to bring in cautious bulls when its getting dark.
When in a more open area I will hang one or two on a willow branch n let it wave in the wind. I also do this with a canoe paddle but I feel they are kinda big in size.
I've used them to pull in moose closer. As they get curious and see compition.
I once watched a mid 30s 3 year year old prancing back n forth 30 yards in front of me . Standing sideways trying to look big for 20 minutes while I stood there laughing. With a leaf above my head. He had never seen another bull like that.
P S. If you forget your bug spray crush up some alder leaves n rub them on.
Hey good luck, hope this helps while you take one make one
Interesting - I've heard of guys using Scapulas and I've done that for raking and even waving a little so I have a couple smaller ones I've kept. Good info though to try!

I use a recycled RnR whiskey plastic pint jug with bottom cut out . Light and I can put a stick in it. Also. Mostly for sounds. The devils club is a nice visual.
I asked in another thread about using scents as attractant for moose. Thinking out loud that scent along with a visual, from an immature bull, as a devils club leaf is small bull sized. Would this simulate a small group ? Cow with small bull hanging around that could draw a larger bull in ?

Back