Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Departing to Unit 61 Elk

Zim

Ended up picking up an ebike on sale last minute for this hunt and was seeking tips on maybe some narrower trails where it may be an access advantage. Also, seeking advice on what portions of the unit might be best to mix in some tree stand hunting. I see much of it is low oak brush. Got quite a few water tanks marked in those areas, so likely most of my scouting will be for trees suitable to hunt game trails. Departing Thursday. Will visit family including a new grand daughter in Fort Collins 6 days. Then put wife on a plane home and head to hunt unit August 27th for 6 days of pre-hunt scouting. Looking forward to getting away. Been a rough year at work. Thanks

Ended up picking up an ebike on sale last minute for this hunt and was seeking tips on maybe some narrower trails where it may be an access advantage. Also, seeking advice on what portions of the unit might be best to mix in some tree stand hunting. I see much of it is low oak brush. Got quite a few water tanks marked in those areas, so likely most of my scouting will be for trees suitable to hunt game trails. Departing Thursday. Will visit family including a new grand daughter in Fort Collins 6 days. Then put wife on a plane home and head to hunt unit August 27th for 6 days of pre-hunt scouting. Looking forward to getting away. Been a rough year at work. Thanks
On this site, find unit 61, find MVUM forest service road and trail map, find motorcycle and bicycle specific single track trails. Those trails get regular traffic from trail riders, so consider places several hundred yards off the trail.
61 is a great unit, also a large one. Plenty of places to put a tree stand over water. Because of overall good visibility, most hunters glass from above then set up their ambushes when they find elk. You will hear bugling! In September pay more attention to the higher elevations west of Divide Road. Good luck this fall!. Looking forward to a write-up w pics of one of my favorite areas. There is a Fresh Tracks episode of Randy's rifle hunt in 61.

On this site, find unit 61, find MVUM forest service road and trail map, find motorcycle and bicycle specific single track trails. Those trails get regular traffic from trail riders, so consider places several hundred yards off the trail.
61 is a great unit, also a large one. Plenty of places to put a tree stand over water. Because of overall good visibility, most hunters glass from above then set up their ambushes when they find elk. You will hear bugling! In September pay more attention to the higher elevations west of Divide Road. Good luck this fall!. Looking forward to a write-up w pics of one of my favorite areas. There is a Fresh Tracks episode of Randy's rifle hunt in 61.
Thanks much. Will check out the bike maps. This will be an interesting hunt. Not sure if the bike might help or not. Just thought I’d give it a try.

I have a buddy who killed a nice bull hunting from Divide Rd. That’s my dream hunt. Please share pics and your story.

Awesome unit! You’ll have a great hunt I’m sure. In general there’s more timber near the divide road that you could set a stand in.

Arrived in Fort Collins. Took wife on tourist route, visiting Chimney Rock & Scott’s Bluff en route. Dang my body doesn’t deal with these long drives so well these days. Had to fight drowsiness with iced coffee energy drinks the whole drive. Will be nice to take a break visiting family/friends for a week before final leg to the unit. Can’t wait to see 5th grandchild. Bought a new sight that is giving me problems as well. Got to work on that.

Attachments

• B5B966DE-6E98-4BAF-B7EC-1A3BC9E190F2.jpeg
    B5B966DE-6E98-4BAF-B7EC-1A3BC9E190F2.jpeg
    905.3 KB · Views: 61
Arrived in Fort Collins. Took wife on tourist route, visiting Chimney Rock & Scott’s Bluff en route. Dang my body doesn’t deal with these long drives so well these days. Had to fight drowsiness with iced coffee energy drinks the whole drive. Will be nice to take a break visiting family/friends for a week before final leg to the unit. Can’t wait to see 5th grandchild. Bought a new sight that is giving me problems as well. Got to work on that.
Try those 5 hour Energy type shots to help with drowsiness while driving. Works for me and less pee breaks. Good luck👍

Update: Everything went downhill once I put my wife on the plane and finally got my solo time to drive to unit and scout. Gear repairs/returns, 3 work projects had to finish on computer, truck alternator went out needed replacement plus must return for universal belt work, and now got horribly sick from the grandkids virus no doubt. One week of screaming just wasn't enuf. Toddlers are the gift that just keeps on giving. Very miserable just trying to regain strength enough to salvage 1 1/2 days of scouting. What a joke. Had 7 devoted. Instead stuck sick in a hotel in Grand Junction. Can't get much worse.

Broke my first rule of hunting trips. Stay away from all humans in the 2 weeks before a hunt, and wash hands after touching anything like doorknobs, etc.

Update: Everything went downhill once I put my wife on the plane and finally got my solo time to drive to unit and scout. Gear repairs/returns, 3 work projects had to finish on computer, truck alternator went out needed replacement plus must return for universal belt work, and now got horribly sick from the grandkids virus no doubt. One week of screaming just wasn't enuf. Toddlers are the gift that just keeps on giving. Very miserable just trying to regain strength enough to salvage 1 1/2 days of scouting. What a joke. Had 7 devoted. Instead stuck sick in a hotel in Grand Junction. Can't get much worse.

Broke my first rule of hunting trips. Stay away from all humans in the 2 weeks before a hunt, and wash hands after touching anything like doorknobs, etc.
You went to the wrong “kill zone”. Been there done that. Hope you feel better

Nothing like a little, or a lot of adversity! But as a friend says, “it will only make the story better!” Hope you make a quick recovery and kill your best bull yet. Looking forward to the pics!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back