Dehydrating your own meals

peterk1234

Somebody out there has to be doing it. I have made jerky, dehydrated fruit and vegetables. But never a meal. Can anyone recommend a place for some ideas or a good book that focuses on backcountry meals? I am a big fan of books. Much easier to go back to a book for reference than the internet, which changes every 20 seconds. Thx Pete

Some resources:

I'm sure there are books too but most any dehydrator will have decent instructions.

I got super hardcore into this a few years ago. Did only the DIY meals for a couple years of camping/hunting. I only used internet sources so sorry can’t add any books and can’t remember what sites. I will say while it did work well I eventually stopped doing it. It was fun but took a lot of time. Been working to much last couple years for that. I saved some money and got custom meals which was nice though. One thing I learned is that the meals don’t hydrate well in just vac seal or freezer bags. At least not at high altitude boil temps. I had to either use an insulated pouch I custom made or you have to buy Mylar bags online in order to hold the temps high enough to rehydrate. Between the time I didn’t have and trying to get my gear ultra lite I have gone back to just stocking up every time Peak meals go on sale. But maybe when work slows down I’ll give it another try. Let me know if you want some tips or recipes.

About a month before hunting season I will start dehydrating leftovers of some of my favorite meals. Casseroles work particularly well. I do a lot of things that they say your not supposed to dehydrate too, like eggs and cheese and I've never had a problem. I use everything within 3 months though and I'm not trying to use it long term. One of my favorites is a breakfast casserole. It's just potatoes, eggs, meat of choice and cheese. You bake it until the eggs are done and then eat it or dehydrate it. I vacuum pack everything, in individual serving size bags, after I dehydrate it and then I also rehydrate it in those same bags. It usually takes 10-15 minutes. I'm definitely no pro at it, but it works for me, tastes good and I'm still alive after having done it for several years.

Somebody out there has to be doing it. I have made jerky, dehydrated fruit and vegetables. But never a meal. Can anyone recommend a place for some ideas or a good book that focuses on backcountry meals? I am a big fan of books. Much easier to go back to a book for reference than the internet, which changes every 20 seconds. Thx Pete
So just to clarify, dehydrating or freeze drying?

About a month before hunting season I will start dehydrating leftovers of some of my favorite meals. Casseroles work particularly well. I do a lot of things that they say your not supposed to dehydrate too, like eggs and cheese and I've never had a problem. I use everything within 3 months though and I'm not trying to use it long term. One of my favorites is a breakfast casserole. It's just potatoes, eggs, meat of choice and cheese. You bake it until the eggs are done and then eat it or dehydrate it. I vacuum pack everything, in individual serving size bags, after I dehydrate it and then I also rehydrate it in those same bags. It usually takes 10-15 minutes. I'm definitely no pro at it, but it works for me, tastes good and I'm still alive after having done it for several years.
Do you have any issues with not fully rehydrating? I was using vac seal bags too but just couldn’t them 100% without an insulting pouch to hold heat in. They’d be close but always had some stiff noodles or tough meat in there. Could be I was making mine in the summer and freezing them.

Do you have any issues with not fully rehydrating? I was using vac seal bags too but just couldn’t them 100% without an insulting pouch to hold heat in. They’d be close but always had some stiff noodles or tough meat in there. Could be I was making mine in the summer and freezing them.
Most of the time I have pretty good luck with everything rehydrating. Once I put the water in, I will put a jacket or something over it to hold heat in and that seems to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back