Deer Valley, Utah - work trip

I'm going to deer valley Utah this week for work and am wondering if anyone has knowledge of some areas near there where I could spot wildlife. I leave in two days and just found out I'm going there so any help is appreciated. If there's a good trail head or some where I can hike in the evening or my day off that I might spot deer or elk or really anything, please let me know. I know I'd rather try and get some phone scope photos more than bounce around restaurants or bars alone. Thanks!

Guardsman pass up to Big Cottonwood Canyon or drop down towards Midway from Guardsman, you will find trails to hike and as far as seeing Elk it may be tough but should see plenty of deer.

Head south towards Strawberry Reservoir. Lots of possibilities to see critters around there. Plenty of USFS trails to get to places. Eat ice cream in Heber City on the way home.

Just don't have any cheese broccoli soup. Had some for lunch in Heber City some years ago and in 30 minutes I was looking for a ditch. After a major gastrointestinal disturbance, all was right in the world. The High Uintas wilderness area is not far and is spectacular. GJ

Just don't have any cheese broccoli soup. Had some for lunch in Heber City some years ago and in 30 minutes I was looking for a ditch. After a major gastrointestinal disturbance, all was right in the world. The High Uintas wilderness area is not far and is spectacular. GJ
If it's open, the Mirror Lake Highway through the Uintas is a great drive.

Look at making a loop. Francis/Woodland to Hanna/Tabiona on highway 35 goes over Wolf Creek. Recommend Hanna Bar & Grill for a bite/beverage. From Tabiona go south to highway 40 and west back to Park City. You'll go through the Strawberry Valley.

Highway 150 over the Uinta Mountains still is closed as of the last road update. https://udottraffic.utah.gov/CLALertViewer.aspx?CLType=3

If you want to stay close to Park City consider a trail ride. I'd recommend Red Pine http://redpinetours.com/summer-fun/

PM if you have any questions. Good snow year and the mountains are beautiful this time of year; green with lots of snow on top.

Enjoy Deer Valley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, I have been able to get some decent opportunities on mule deer each evening... some from my hotel balcony! I will be taking a larger trip on Sunday, my day off, to see more area. I hear there are moose in the area too so I am hoping to catch that. All in all, I have had fun taking photos through my spotting scope and will share other things I find. I have put more on my IG @sjfowler1985 DV Buck.JPG

Back