Deer terrain vs Elk terrain

JohnBud

Colorado deer hunting while others are elk hunting. Or vice-versa. While reading a recent thread there were a number of comments from experienced Colorado hunters with a theme that deer hunters are, or should be, hunting different terrain than the elk hunters. Please expand on those concepts. In any given area, what does deer terrain look like and how is that different from elk terrain?

I’ve seen plenty of deer and elk in the same places. Although generally the elk stay up higher later into the year.

I am not sure what your refering to but heres some basics for where i hunt a lot. Deer if your in trees your to low, elk if your above trees your to high most time...

The area I hunt the deer stay more in the aspens and meadows and the elk in the dark timber. Seems like the deer are content in the same small areas and the elk cover a lot more ground. This is archery season CO high country.

You can also find deer in the river bottoms and draws out on the plains (Whitetails). Not as sexy as hunting in the mountains, but they are there. No elk on the plains for the most part. In my experience (about 10 years spent in CO, hunted 3 seasons). Hope this helps.

I too have hunted Deer and Elk out of the same camp. There were some draws and drainages that we knew were deer country, and others were elk country. Wasn't elevation in Wyoming. You could find the deer in the burns after first light. The elk would be within view of a green treeline. Until we started getting weather. Then the elk would come out more in the open.

A deer or 2 can hide in a lot smaller cover. A herd of elk, not so much. If they are in the open they are pretty relaxed. Once they spook and head for the timber though they are on guard.
I've seen a alert but not spooked deer sneak to a small patch of brush, or arroyo to hide and often will freeze to see if you go by. Elk will tear up the country getting out of view.

I've got one mountain range I've seen very few deer in despite big rocky above timberline areas. They are probably there but in the dense tree cover. Sometimes Deer country just means you can SEE them in it. I've SEEN more deer than elk in Aspens.

When I see cliff bands, I look for deer beds at the base of them. Especially when they are in the upper 2/3rd of a ridge. That country just LOOKS "bucky" to me.

I too have hunted Deer and Elk out of the same camp. There were some draws and drainages that we knew were deer country, and others were elk country. Wasn't elevation in Wyoming. You could find the deer in the burns after first light. The elk would be within view of a green treeline. Until we started getting weather. Then the elk would come out more in the open.

A deer or 2 can hide in a lot smaller cover. A herd of elk, not so much. If they are in the open they are pretty relaxed. Once they spook and head for the timber though they are on guard.
I've seen a alert but not spooked deer sneak to a small patch of brush, or arroyo to hide and often will freeze to see if you go by. Elk will tear up the country getting out of view.

I've got one mountain range I've seen very few deer in despite big rocky above timberline areas. They are probably there but in the dense tree cover. Sometimes Deer country just means you can SEE them in it. I've SEEN more deer than elk in Aspens.

When I see cliff bands, I look for deer beds at the base of them. Especially when they are in the upper 2/3rd of a ridge. That country just LOOKS "bucky" to me.
Thank you. Your experience seeing more deer than elk in the aspens is helpful information as well as thoughts about what type of topography/cover draws you to look for bedded deer. It is interesting to hear what makes some areas look "bucky" and other areas look "elky". Good stuff.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back