PEAX Equipment

Deer fest 2002

Big Sky

First here's my buck on the left and Moosie's on the right.
TroyBuckTruck02.jpg

Later that same week my son connected on his first buck. Not a bad start at all for a first timer.
AaronTroyBuck02.jpg

Here is the first deer he ever killed. He shot this doe around the second week of the season. He hit her twice in the shoulders at 287 yards. That's some good shooting regardless of whether you are experienced or not. I've certainly missed deer a lot closer.
Aaron2deer.jpg

Here's my muley doe killed at a similar distance.
DoeMuley.jpg

The week before Thanksgiving I got around to filling my whitetail doe tag. One shot right through the heart 303 yards.
whitetaildoe.jpg

Back to the bucks. The same week Moosie, my son and I killed our bucks I had one other friend come out from North Carolina. Needless to say it was a very busy week. Anyway my buddy Eric has hunted with me a couple of times before, but had only killed rather small bucks. He kept coming out too early when it was hot and difficult to find bucks. He tried coming out later this year during the rut and the buck below is what he took home with him. His hunt lasted a grand total of 45 minutes. Long trip for such a short hunt, but he was more than happy.
MuledeerEric2002.jpg

Last but not least a doctor friend of mine from western Montana had never killed a mule deer. By the way I met this doctor in Casey's Lost River Outfitter's camp this past spring. He is a really nice guy and I told him I thought we could help him find a muley to shoot. At first light we watched two much larger bucks rutting hard and chasing does. However they ended up slipping away without getting a shot fired at them. After we gave up looking for them we tried another area and he made a fine shot on this buck. Pretty darn good first mule deer in my opinion.
muledeerRandy1.jpg

Well that was my deer season this year. For every buck killed there were many others that were passed up, missed or a shot wasn't presented. It was a very good year and I expect things will even be better next year provided we get another mild winter followed by a good spring. Hope everyone else had a lot of good times this season.

Back