Deer Dog Question

deergrower

I would like to know if anybody knows of what kind of dog would make a good trailing dog for downed deer ?Also how would you go about training the dog to go about finding a downed deer?

Nice to see someone from back home on here, I would prob say hound dogs for the simple fact my "outlaw" friends use to use them for tracking down hogs and deer after dark plenty of times in East Texas bayous and swamp land leases and etc...

FYI the dogs we used were blood & Redbone hounds, as far as training them I never had oppurtunity, I would imagine working with the scents and skins of animal you want them to catch scents of....most of all patience.

are you just looking for one to trail a wounded deer or to chase during a hunt?

here in ontario it is still legal to hunt deer with hounds and is by far my favorite method. nothing like hearing the hounds conig straight at ya on a crisp fall morning :D

if your looking for one to trail wounded deer than i would get one with some bloodhound in it.alot of hounds will stop on a trail once blood is scented. we use mostly black and tan, walkers, blueticks, redbones and beagles. plot hounds are getting alot more popular here also. being a more aggressive breed they may take well to a blood trail. we have three plots in our camp but haven't tried them on a blood trail.

hope this helps ;)

Back