Deer/Bear CO GMU 41/42/52

danadrums

Hey All,

I drew a bear tag for GMU 41/42/52 for the Sept season. I'm hoping to pick up a leftover muley buck tag for the same areas tomorrow when the tags become available.
The muley tag would be for the muzzleloader season, which happens during the bear season, so I would be able to hunt with my muzzy and shoot either a deer or a bear, or both.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which of these areas would be more likely for BOTH tags?
I had a bear tag for this area last year, but I didn't get to go BECAUSE OF WORK. No, I don't want to talk about it...

Anyway, can anyone point me to where I should start my e-scouting? I haven't hunted there before, and it's a lot of ground to cover.
I'm happy to put my boots on the ground, just looking for any pointers as to where to train google maps to start with.

Thanks.
--Dana

I picked up a bear tag for the same area and would also be interested in a few pointers only for bear.

Could be a bit of a tricky year for that, bears really like to pile on the mast in the fall, so down low in the oak brush, it's been very rainy all summer with late snow melt (I'm looking at snow around 10-12k out my window as I type this) so likely it will still be pretty green up high in sept. This year I wouldn't be surprised if bucks are above timberline till late October, as long as we don't get several feet of snow.

I would try and locate a road system where you can easily access various elevations and then just play it by ear working up or down in elevation depending on what you are seeing.

Thanks wllm1313.
Turns out I did not get the buck tag, so now I’m just looking for bear.
Any pointers on where to scout would be great.
Maytag encompasses several units, so I would like to narrow it down if I could.

—Dana

Thanks wllm1313.
Turns out I did not get the buck tag, so now I’m just looking for bear.
Any pointers on where to scout would be great.
Maytag encompasses several units, so I would like to narrow it down if I could.

—Dana

Sorry just saw this... the hunt atlas is going to be your best bet other than getting beta from someone.

Toggle on bear fall concentration areas

Biggest bear I've seen in Colorado was in 42. Thought he was one of the cows in the area until I did a double take!

Well I didn't end up with a bear but had a good trip with some cool scenery. Weather was hot and a lot of the archery elk hunters were saying it was the worst year for bear sign they've seen in years. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions.

Reactions: LCH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back