Decision on what to do about my Abolt

The browning abolt "stainless stalker" is the only firearm that I've ever owned that I don't regret getting rid of. Junk.

I own a Stainless Stalker in 25-06 and it is a great shooter. It has had some trigger work before I bought it.That may help some. But it is a left hand and that is what probably makes it so great !

Well here is the update after some more testing. I need to do some load development. I never did the honest work up on the previous loads. I put a box of factory through the gun on Sunday and it was shooting 1.5 inch groups all day. I still think there may be a slight pressure point as the group seams to open up on shots 4 and 5 just a small amount. (this could be also be getting jerky) So that is good nothing major. Now off to pick a bullet fins some powders and go to work.

If you did want to do some work on the gun, you could pillar bed the action yourself for about $50, and then have a smith cut a new crown on the barrel.

How fast are you shooting the five shot groups? Try letting the barrel cool a bit between shots.

A lot of good suggestions above. I agree that looking at the scope bases & mounts and then the scope bear out being verified.

I have a book on home gunsmithing projects by Bryce Towsley. When someone brings him a rifle that won't shoot well, he doesn't even ask them about cleaning the bore, as they always get offended. He takes the rifle and scrubs it out and sometimes used an Outers Foul Out tool to electroplate copper from the bore to the electrode rod. In many, many instances, the rifle is restored to good accuracy and in some cases, he has purchased a rifle that shot like crap and resold it as a fine shooting gun.He espouses using a brush thats one caliber larger than your rifle for a tighter fit; soaking the bore liberally with copper removing solvents for 20-30 minutes and brushing the bore (using a chamber protecting tool) 10 - 20 strokes back & forth.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back