Decided to sell

Lostagain

the ranch. After long hard look at the economies of running the place it just doesn't pencil out anymore. The summer range can go back to the feds, the deeded high country around that can be sold to some outastaters that want a hunting getaway place, the home place will be subdivided into ranchettes for vacation/getaways. I'm moving to town to work after paying off the notes and my capital gains taxes.

You could donate some of the quality habitat to the "MTMILLER Foundation". This would save you some money on those nasty capital gains taxes. I am here to help.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I hope everything works out for you.

that is a case of the shits of the highest magnitude
frown.gif
frown.gif

I really do hope all works out well for you and yours.

Thanks guys, I think just the time I can be with my family will make it worthwhile. I think I'll get enough out of the summer range and the equipment that I can keep a section of it here and there for myself. You cannot beleive some of the money that's flooding in from these outfits. I think the final straw was I had to fenceout a 40 acre piece of BLM that's surrounded by my deeded. Couldn't work a deal with them. OH well. Thanks again.

It's always tough to change occupations or life style. I'm right in the middle of starting a new business myself. I hope everything works out for the best for you.

I wonder why it's your responsibility to fence the forty acres now. Has it always been unfenced? And if so, what changed to make them require a fence now?

I sure hate to hear about the ranchette part. It's happening all too often. Hope it all works out. Had you looked into conservation easements to help out with the taxes?

mtmill== you bet...hahaaha
I did look into a conservation easement but they would only do one on ALL my props not just certain peices.
The BLM piece is a sliver of land that is next to original deeded land and since I bought out the neighbor's it ended up enclosed in mine. This piece I have tried to purchase from the BLM every year since that acquisition in '85, but they keep giving me the run around. Since I lease another piece of BLM ground, I have always just prorated the cost of this other 40 into the total bill I send them, now they are saying that isn't good enough, they want payments all the way back to '85 to present. So in order not to be grazing their pieces, I have not offered on any of their grazing leases again.So be off of their land completely, I have fenced their 40 out of my grazing rotation. You'd think you'd have better neighbors than this, but oh well. I still have 3000 deeded so this little bit of blm lease of about 200 acres ain't much to fight with them about. You think I ought to send them a bill for all the upkeep I did.... weeds, water, road maintaince etcetc?

Lost again...
You should...It may not go far..But what the hey, what have you got to lose...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back