December waterfowl??

Alasken

I'm going to be visiting family in Eastern Oregon (Malheur County) for Christmas and am wondering if the waterfowl hunting is any good that time of year.
Ken

Alasken,
IF it's going to be any good, that's the time.
Have a boat?
The field shooting can also be quite good up and down the Snake River corridor.
WD

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure if there's a boat available or not. I'm going to get in touch with my bro-in-law and see though. It sure would be nice to shoot something while I'm down there.

Not sure where in the county you're gonna be but try (if in the area) the drainage below Warm Springs Res. LOTS on honkers there in past years.
Ranch access has been decent in the past as well for pheasant and chuker down along the river.

Late season geese LOVE corn. From talking to moosie, getting on land can be kind of a pain in the ass, but late season hunting is some of the best of the year. However, land can be freed up that late cuz alot of the weekend warriors hang up the shotgun after most of the water has frozen up.

Late season geese will also only feed once a day usually if it's cold out, and may not feed at all on really cold days. So scouting the mid-morning to afternoon is the best time to find geese flying back and forth from water to fields. Geese this time of year also seem to get dumber and dumber the colder it gets, and may set you up for a great shoot.

So far it sounds encouraging. I'll be talking to my bro-in-law tonight. I don't think access to land will be a problem. His family has a bunch of land we hunted on for pheasants the last time I was down there, about 7 or 8 years ago. I sure want to try my new super x2 on some big birds. I'll let you know what he says.

Alasken, I am right on the river across from Onterio, OR. The waterfoul is just getting good in December. I have a jet boat and hunt the islands in the river with pretty good success.
Maybe we could talk Moosie into showing up for a party hunt while your here. (It's hard to get him out to hunt sometime though.)

(It's hard to get him out to hunt sometime though.)
If you consider dialing 7 didgets as "HARD" then it is Hard to get me to go ;)

AlasKen, If you can make it to the Border, you can Hunt wth an Oregon license and us with an Idaho license in the same blind..... Count me in !!!

(I'm guessing the Ducks will fall long before the Geese though.)

Thanks brokfut! Now you're talkin'. I'll be in Nyssa, so getting to the border shouldn't be a problem. I'll be there from 12/22-12/31, or later. I have an old car the in-laws have been storing for me forever I really want to get on the road.
BTW, Moosie, congrats on your sheep. Good looking ram. You still have my email addy? Let's keep in touch.

(I'm guessing the Ducks will fall long before the Geese though.)

Moosie..............
I didn't think they had to fall after you shoot?
WD

Wally.. Thats why I always go with someone *SMILE*

Alasken, I saw the post on Oregon and didn't even think you'd be in Nyssa. HELL, Guys from Boise drive there just for the BOOBY BAr... Errrrr... I mean DUCK hunting ;)

Seriously though, write down my # (208)571-1ELK. Forget the Emailing thing. Jsut call whn you're in town !!! As soon as you get in town call. We'll hook it up. I'll have you over for dinner, I'm only 45 mins from there. Here are a few Pics from the River we were talking about :

http://www.hunttalk.com/modules/gallery/Springduck03

11_22c.sized.jpg

Here is a Golden Eye we (ME) let get away :

11_22duck5.sized.jpg

11_22h.sized.jpg

Nice looking setup moosie. The poundage will continue this weekend, I will take some pics for you so it is well documented what you missed...

Saturday I'm on Kid Dudy then Sunday I'll be hiking for Deer..... I might slip out Monday Morning though, Depends when I get back Sunday night !!!!!

I think I need to work sometime in between too...

DUDE........... Looks like you're here tomorrow ?!?!?

(208)571-1355, Drop me a Line. Brokfoot moved.. time to go to Plan "B".

Cool, I found out last week my favorite nephew has a real good buddy who guides goose hunts, so I can't wait to see what the youngster has in mind for his favorite uncle. Yep tomorrow afternoon I get into Boise, and staying until the 31st. I also hear rumors of quail hunting on the inlaws property. Yeehah, I'll get to kill someting this year. Well, at least shoot at something. I'll give you a call Moosie. Thanks.
Ken

So..... the 31st is Friday ? It's almost Wednesday... looks like Ken must have found the Nysa Booby bar and Forgot about Moosie ?!?!? ;)

Hope he's slaying 'um.

Truth is Santa gave Alasken the badass flu right before Christmas. And I always hated the chunks of coal I got before. I was pretty sick, almost didn't go. I hung around thre inlaws homestead the whole time I was there. Managed to jump shoot some teal and shot a few quail too, but no big bird hunting for me. Maybe next year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back