Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Dealing with Bear

RG_Adult_Onset_Hunter

I know the T word is going to be thrown out right off the bat. So I am just going to pre-empt that now.

The following is the most well researched website I have found on the subject. If you want to eat predators I suggest you read it.

https://porkgateway.org/resource/trichinae/

That said. I just shot my first bear, and he tastes awesome. Did a simple pot roast with him to figure out what kind of quality I had and I was blown away. Bear has a distinctive flavor, like the texture of beef married up to the flavor of a squirrel. I had planned on making a fair amount of charcuterie with this animal (which I still am). I also have machinations on some large batches of tamales, as well as some stuffed pasta dishes. Pulled neck tacos are definitely happening.

Any bear recipes you would like me to try my hand at? Any you have had in the past that blew your mind? Awful stuff I should avoid? In general, just looking for a brainstorm on how best to use this incredible meat.

I’ve enjoyed cooking backstraps much like I would elk, whole and then sliced thin. Salt, pepper, little bit of onion and garlic powder. Sear in a pan sous vide for 4 hours+ then sear again before serving.

I know the T word is going to be thrown out right off the bat. So I am just going to pre-empt that now.

The following is the most well researched website I have found on the subject. If you want to eat predators I suggest you read it.

https://porkgateway.org/resource/trichinae/

That said. I just shot my first bear, and he tastes awesome. Did a simple pot roast with him to figure out what kind of quality I had and I was blown away. Bear has a distinctive flavor, like the texture of beef married up to the flavor of a squirrel. I had planned on making a fair amount of charcuterie with this animal (which I still am). I also have machinations on some large batches of tamales, as well as some stuffed pasta dishes. Pulled neck tacos are definitely happening.

Any bear recipes you would like me to try my hand at? Any you have had in the past that blew your mind? Awful stuff I should avoid? In general, just looking for a brainstorm on how best to use this incredible meat.

Good info, nice to know freezing is a good way to kill it, didn't realize it was so effective, thought you mostly had to cook it well.

Good info, nice to know freezing is a good way to kill it, didn't realize it was so effective, thought you mostly had to cook it well.

You want to be careful with the freezing though. It only works with a DEEP freeze and even then northern varieties of the parasite are not susceptible to freeze kill.

You want to be careful with the freezing though. It only works with a DEEP freeze and even then northern varieties of the parasite are not susceptible to freeze kill.

Didn't catch that about northern varieties, probably why everybody I know cooks them well. I always use a deep freeze though, -10F

I butcher my bear in roasts, ground and sausage.

Sausage is VERY versatile, it can be eaten whole, sliced/mixed in recipes or remove the casings and you get pre-seasoned ground meat. I don't take ANY chances at home, bear gets well cooked, it tastes delicious anyway. When I want a rare steak, I eat whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn or moose...

Chili. I made I don't know how many gallons of chili this last year with my bear.

I never follow a recipe, just throw in what sounds good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back