Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

DD/GWP

@JLS @Mule man I'm very jealous of both of you. I'll be attempting to jump shoot some ducks at best if I'm lucky.

Unfortunately, the latest litter didn't take, so we're still looking at being quite a ways out. I was offered a really well trained non-breeder, but my better half couldn't stomach the cost, plus... I mean you only get so many opportunities to get a puppy, and while they're a ton of work, there's not much as cute as a bird dog pup.
Was offered a one year old GWP three weeks ago, folks were moving and was going to give it to a good home. This may have worked out for you if I would have known. I really would have liked to have it but I hate cooking for my self....lol

My GWP is a year and and half old and could care less about fur, feathers are a different story. She is a little machine on chuckars . Just got back From Nevada,wind and snowed over a foot. Bit chilly this week camped out. Birds were kegged up.
Just finished up here in NV. TONS of snow, made the hiking and scree a bit more than usual.

I've got a deposit down on a GWP pup from a kennel that admits their dogs have zero fur drive. They're all about birds. That's not what DD is bred for, they're all around dogs. But I also think it's way more about the kennel than the breed, and that holds true for
Well, if he's getting dogs from Germany they are most likely VDD dogs. So, there wouldn't be any difference assuming they were not dogs that washed out of the testing. This would show on the ahnentafel or pedigree.

NAVHDA may be the best program available for training and testing versatile dogs as well. So, the odds seem good that there is very little difference in your case. :)
Germany definitely dose NOT send over their best dogs. If you are importing your best bet is a puppy and still your not getting pick of the litter. There is VDD-GNA (Group North America). Every state has groups that train together to meet the German standards. The 8 chapters across the States facilitate hunt tests in almost every state, spring and fall every year.

Germany definitely dose NOT send over their best dogs. If you are importing your best bet is a puppy and still your not getting pick of the litter. There is VDD-GNA (Group North America). Every state has groups that train together to meet the German standards. The 8 chapters across the States facilitate hunt tests in almost every state, spring and fall every year.
In New to VDDGNA however in talking with the breeder we got our pup from I was asking about importing dogs and if breeders from other countries look for American stock. He said there's quite a few international breeders attending the Armbruster every year. That the arid mountains of the west have been aiding producing some of the best noses and tracking ability that breeders overseas are looking to incorporate into their lines.

Last edited:
In New to VDDGNA however in talking with the breeder we got our pup from I was asking about importing dogs and if breeders from other countries look for American stock. He said there's quite a few international breeders attending the Armbruster every year. That the arid mountains of the west have been aiding producing some of the best noses and tracking ability that breeders overseas are looking to incorporate into their lines.
I have seen super qualities from both but don’t know of any US bred dogs that have gone back to Germany. Not to say that there hasn’t been. I have only been with the VDD-GNA for seven years so I’m still new myself.

I have seen super qualities from both but don’t know of any US bred dogs that have gone back to Germany. Not to say that there hasn’t been. I have only been with the VDD-GNA for seven years so I’m still new myself.
I think the trouble with importing a dog from a rabies country would make it un attractive. But maybe AI would work if there was a desirable stud over here?

I think the trouble with importing a dog from a rabies country would make it un attractive. But maybe AI would work if there was a desirable stud over here?
That could very well be the case. I also drove for 13 hrs before having that conversation so I could be misquoting as well. More or less that the breeding program in the US is producing dogs of great caliber and some of the environmental conditions and landscapes here are helping that along.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back