Danner Elk Hunter vs Irish Setter Wingshooter

RugerHawg413

After looking at all of the replies to my thread about boots for pronghorn hunting (thanks again), I am considering buying a boot that is all leather. And the two that I came up with thru replies and research are the danner elk hunter or the irish setter wingshooter. If anyone has had either of these please comment on their comfort and overall feel. Thanks for all info and knowledge!

Last edited:
The wing shooter is an awesome boot for lots of walking. Grip not so good for hills. If it’s mostly rolling hills or work it’s a great boot

I own the wingshooters (among other pairs).

Pros:
-Very good water seal. Walked through many 6” deep pools, streams, etc. and have dry feet
-Warm AND breathable. Best breathable boots I’ve owned for conditions from 0-90 degrees.
-Sturdy
-Performed well with a 100+ lb pack in rough terrain.
-good ankle protection

Cons:
-My pair runs big. Reading reviews this is not a universal observation. My suspicion is poor manufacturing tolerances. You can solve this issue by selecting your pair of boots in person.
-Heavy
-Heel cup too stiff, causing heel rub. I tore apart the boots and removed the stiff heel cup material then reconstructed the boots. This is particular to my feet and I’ve had to do with other boots as well.
-Minimal traction (but also less mud sticks to bottom of boot).
-Expensive. I don’t plan on buying another pair because I feel there are better boots at the price point.

I own the wingshooters (among other pairs).

Pros:
-Very good water seal. Walked through many 6” deep pools, streams, etc. and have dry feet
-Warm AND breathable. Best breathable boots I’ve owned for conditions from 0-90 degrees.
-Sturdy
-Performed well with a 100+ lb pack in rough terrain.
-good ankle protection

Cons:
-My pair runs big. Reading reviews this is not a universal observation. My suspicion is poor manufacturing tolerances. You can solve this issue by selecting your pair of boots in person.
-Heavy
-Heel cup too stiff, causing heel rub. I tore apart the boots and removed the stiff heel cup material then reconstructed the boots. This is particular to my feet and I’ve had to do with other boots as well.
-Minimal traction (but also less mud sticks to bottom of boot).
-Expensive. I don’t plan on buying another pair because I feel there are better boots at the price point.
Thank you all the info! Really Helps!!

I bought a pair of Irishsetters a few years ago (don’t remember which kind). By far the worst boot I’ve owned. Comfort was fine but didn’t even get a full year out of them before they completely fell apart. Maybe that was anomaly though.

Buy once cry once with Kenetreks. My hunting buddy actually won a pair of 400 gram Mountain Extremes then a few months later he won the Danner Elk Hunters (lucky bastard) and after wearing the Kenetreks for rifle season last year and then breaking in the Danners this spring/summer he's actually considering wearing the Kenetreks during our September hunt with hot feet cause they are that much better. Or selling the Danners and getting NI Mountain Extremes. I have Mountain Extremes in both NI and 400 gram. They are the most amazing things to ever touch my feet. They are expensive but I didn't pay full price for either. Got one at RMEF auction and one with a 10% or 15% "Randy" code promotion so you can save some money if patient. I only have a season in them but if they last as long as everyone says, and then can double that with the resole service, which is the price of cheaper boots, they'll probably cost less in the long run.

Buy once cry once with Kenetreks. My hunting buddy actually won a pair of 400 gram Mountain Extremes then a few months later he won the Danner Elk Hunters (lucky bastard) and after wearing the Kenetreks for rifle season last year and then breaking in the Danners this spring/summer he's actually considering wearing the Kenetreks during our September hunt with hot feet cause they are that much better. Or selling the Danners and getting NI Mountain Extremes. I have Mountain Extremes in both NI and 400 gram. They are the most amazing things to ever touch my feet. They are expensive but I didn't pay full price for either. Got one at RMEF auction and one with a 10% or 15% "Randy" code promotion so you can save some money if patient. I only have a season in them but if they last as long as everyone says, and then can double that with the resole service, which is the price of cheaper boots, they'll probably cost less in the long run.
Thanks so much for all the info and knowledge! Yeah, I am really considering the Kenetreks as well. Helps a lot.

Thank yall for all the info, knowledge, and wisdom! I have bought the Kenetrek Hardscrabble boots. Again thanks!!

Cabela's is who messed up Cabela's.....BPS was just there to pick up the pieces.

Fair enough- tell me more so I dont go around being ignorant;) I loved their products- specifically their boots and hunting clothing- at reasonable prices.....Its now hard t stomach $400 boots and $1000 hunting outfits. Their camo was great for out west....

Fair enough- tell me more so I dont go around being ignorant;) I loved their products- specifically their boots and hunting clothing- at reasonable prices.....Its now hard t stomach $400 boots and $1000 hunting outfits. Their camo was great for out west....
They (the family) overextended themselves through outside investment, became vulnerable and BPS stepped in to buy/take over. When open to shareholders (in this case a hedge fund) things leave control of the "owners". It also led to the collapse of Sidney, NE (previous HQ). It is horrible but a cautionary tale for towns/states to NEVER be wholly dependent on a single employer/source of income.

I have an old pair of 200 gram insulated 8'' Danner Elk Hunters that I have had for years & they have treated me good. I do wish they were 10'' tall & one half size bigger. They started squeaking a few years back and had them rebuilt by Danner and they did a really nice job. I keep them for more easy going type of terrain.

I wear Kenetreks Mountain Extreme, Irish Setter Elk Hunters and Danner Pronghorn in that order.
The Pronghorn is a good boot, but no longer waterproof.
The IS is fast becoming my favorite warm weather boot, just seems to require more care. Guess it is all leather.
Hard to beat the Kenetreks. Get over the price and buy them.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back