D5 opener

NickCNC

Once again, tons of fresh scat, tons of tracks, zero sightings. Hiked a total of 8.5 miles of wilderness, and ran into one other hunting at the truck that experienced the same... also experienced same during archery season as i am an archery only hunter... What am i doing wrong??? Hunting bear and deer

It’s hot, dry and windy right now. I saw 10 bears and a couple spike bucks during archery season. I’ve only encountered two bears and no deer so far in rifle. We need some weather. Be sure to return when it rains. Hunt during and after the rain. Also, it helps to focus on an area that looks good, rather than just hiking. What’s your hunting strategy?

I hike back into places where theres less people and close to water, with open space. I find a ton of sign but never locate animals. I figure either im too loud or im not doing something right. I like to be close to water, but I also dont like to sit idle too long, i figure the more i move the more chance i have at finding something vs playing a waiting game

I hike back into places where theres less people and close to water, with open space. I find a ton of sign but never locate animals. I figure either im too loud or im not doing something right. I like to be close to water, but I also dont like to sit idle too long, i figure the more i move the more chance i have at finding something vs playing a waiting game
I know guys that are successful using both strategies, but right now, you’re going to have more encounters during the first and last hour of shooting than any other time of day. So spend those key times in a location with lots of sign, and stay put. Burn boot leather during midday looking for other locations to hunt in the morning and evening. Also, if you can’t sit still, bring some tic tacs with you. If you can hear them rattle when hiking, you’re moving too fast. Animals will see you well before you see them.

Cheers man, usually i head up 88 because ive been up that way my entire life, this past weekend my son and i tried hwy 4 for the first time. Beautiful up there, but unfamiliar with the locations.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back