D5-Bear success?

RyanSoNorCal

Love to hear anyone’s success filling their bear tag this season up in D5. I’ve seen a couple stories/pics so far and I’m a bit jealous. I was up off HWY 4 past Ganns this weekend for 2 days. Ton of scat but no sightings. I plan on going back up late October early November when the rifle deer circus is over. Thoughts?

I hunted D5 couple years ago. Always found them while driving and in the middle of the road. Would like to hear others experience.

I am same boat. Tons of scat but never saw one. I suspect theyre out and about at night and den up just after daybreak... a post i came across awhile ago said in the mornings youll find em by the berries on western slopes.. plan to go up this week if i can or wait til rifle season but ill still be using the bow. What are you thinking is decent range to get to, obviously closer the better but is 50-60 range feasible for the based on KE of the arrow at that distance?

Berries, pine cones, and standing/slow moving water. Find an area with those characteristics and fresh bear sign. Get the wind right and get comfy. They'll cruise through.

Berries, pine cones, and standing/slow moving water. Find an area with those characteristics and fresh bear sign. Get the wind right and get comfy. They'll cruise through.
Any insight on range for effectiveness on bear. Im pulling 70lb draw with 350 spine full length arrows

Any insight on range for effectiveness on bear. Im pulling 70lb draw with 350 spine full length arrows

Depends on your effective range with a live animal in front of you. Bears are soft. I shot mine this year at 15 yards. 70 pound draw and a 540 grain arrow zipped through him. Never found the arrow.

Thats what were gonna find out.. never let loose on a live animal before, im happy with my groupings at 50-60yds on a target, but adding animal element is going to change have an impact so i think if im closer im more comfortable but maybe the distance shot will have me a lottle apprehensive as i dont want to put a bad shot on one and feel disgusted with myself on how unethical it might be.

Thats what were gonna find out.. never let loose on a live animal before, im happy with my groupings at 50-60yds on a target, but adding animal element is going to change have an impact so i think if im closer im more comfortable but maybe the distance shot will have me a lottle apprehensive as i dont want to put a bad shot on one and feel disgusted with myself on how unethical it might be.

Agreed. I love my top pin shots.

Since were talking about bears, hows anyone fared in D6? Or know the population difference as far as the areas go? Is D6 just as dense with the bear population? I know yosemite see their fare share but didnt know about elsewhere they may be high in density??

I’m also pulling 70lbs and feel confident with groupings 40-50 yards on a target. Given the terrain and shooting at a live animal I probably wouldn’t push anything over 30 yards.

Since were talking about bears, hows anyone fared in D6? Or know the population difference as far as the areas go? Is D6 just as dense with the bear population? I know yosemite see their fare share but didnt know about elsewhere they may be high in density??
I hunt D6 and D7. Lots of bears all over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back