Crossbow help

huntbux

Hello everyone. So I've called all the hunters I know and have come up with squat on crossbows. Looking story short. Shoulder surgery on new years eve. Tried like hell to rehab before hunting season to no avail as I had a set back during PT. Leaving to Africa on August 3rd. I am in bed of a crossbow and have no idea about them. I have been told I need one with a crank. Will be hunting in Africa this trip and my wife may just once back in the states. I don't want to break the bank. Maybe 1k to 1500 all in but would prefer less than the 1k if possible. What brand should I go with? Do I need a crank out rope pull? Scope? Will need a hard case for travel. Thank you for the help in advance.
-Anthony

There are many out there right now in the price range you're looking to spend, Excalibur, TenPoint, Wicked Ridge, Mission , just to name a few. That being said, yes get one with a scope, avoid Barnett crossbows, ( I know too many hunters that purchased a Barnett and had nothing but issues). If you can get one with a crank option, it may take a few seconds more, but it'll be easier on your muscles, the rope system is faster though. And yes, you'll need a case for it. find out from the airlines and TSA, what the specifics are for transporting it, which should help you narrow down which case you need to purchase. Good luck.

Lots of good ones on the market. I chose the Excalibur Matrix 380. It is one of the very few recurve crossbows out there. Made in Canada. I use the rope for cocking (260 lb. pull) even after surgeries to both shoulders and my back. My wife has the same rig but we installed the crank cocking device on hers. With the recurve, on a trip, I carry a set of extra limbs and an extra string. I can do most any repair right at camp. Accuracy is almost scary. Of their line up today, I would look at the Micro 360 or the Mag 340. I suggest to attend a Cabelas type store where you can try out a few different makes and models. I have taken lots of deer with mine. However, in MHO crossbows should be limited to shots of less than 35 yards.

I have a mission Sub 1XR. I got it through optix planet. I was able to find a discount code and got 20% off. I think the total was around $1,200 but it was a few years ago so I could be off. I know it was under $1500. I buy arrows from south shore archery in FL. Their custom crossbow bolts are legit but cost a lot.

the bow a new bolt would put you right at $1500 and give you a crazy accurate Xbow.

Hope that helps

Thank you all for the information. I truly appreciate it, especially with how quick I well need to decide.

So I went with the Wicked Ridge Invader 400 with acu-draw crank system. Biggest negative is that they don't make a hard case for travel so I will have to take apart for travel. Going with gold tip arrows and rage broadheads. Planning on putting a vortex crossfire scope on it before I head over to Africa. I'll post my experience when I get back.

If I was headed to Africa there is only one crossbow I would consider. That would be an Excalibur. Tough, easy to replace a string if you cut it by accident dead reliable if you get the right one and it has the available rope cocker that you need..

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back