Caribou Gear

Crazy thing happened about 0330 this morning Unit 18

bmontang

This morning about 0330 I was awakened out of a dead sleep by the most harrowing noise I’ve ever heard.

It took me a minute but then I realized it was wolves - a pack of wolves at the very end of a hunt. The time they go absolutely nuts. Then it quiets down for about 30 seconds and I hear the last cry of an elk as the wolves took it down.

It all happened within 1/2 a mile from my wall tent here in Unit 18. Nature is brutal.

Just finishing dinner on our patio in early June, same thing, eery elk call, repeated, then all was silent. Turns out a bear killed a new-born elk calf about 150 yards from our house. Yep, nature can be brutal at times. There are lots of idiots that need to experience nature a little closer so they won't try to pet elk and buffalo in the wild of Jellystone, but then maybe we should let Darwin's Theory take over.

I’m beginning to think there’s more wolves here than what we’ve been told ;). Either that or they move around really fast.
There have been a lot of sightings over the years but CPW always had an “it’s a coyote” answer when I and other friends would talk to them about and show them pictures. That was ten years ago seeing solos. I’ve heard about packs but never seen them myself. And that’s along the i70 corridor in eagle county

I’ve had the same experience with CPW. 5 years ago while pronghorn hunting in unit 3 I saw a pack of five wolves. I watched them for ten minutes or so through my binoculars from about half a mile. Later, when I got checked for my pronghorn I mentioned it to the CPW officer who told me they were probably just big coyotes. My reply was I hunt coyotes so I’m going back to get a couple of those big ones. He told me that would be a bad idea.

This morning about 0330 I was awakened out of a dead sleep by the most harrowing noise I’ve ever heard.

It took me a minute but then I realized it was wolves - a pack of wolves at the very end of a hunt. The time they go absolutely nuts. Then it quiets down for about 30 seconds and I hear the last cry of an elk as the wolves took it down.

It all happened within 1/2 a mile from my wall tent here in Unit 18. Nature is brutal.
What state?

I was guiding a float trip on the Gunnison river about 7 years ago and got pictures of a pair along the river bottom one grey and one black. About 3 weeks later was floating about 8 miles southwest and came around a bend and saw a grey wolf with a freshly killed fawn about 50 yards off the river. Myself and my clients got good clear pictures. I've hunted and guided all over the country my entire life and I know the difference between wolves and coyotes. I reported both to CPW because that's what your supposed to do. They played the coyote card until I hand delivered the pictures to the office. They then proceeded to tell me that they must be domestic wolves that belonged to someone in the area. Now they have an established pack just north of there that the star claims guess they finally had to fess up to having a population in Colorado.

I was guiding a float trip on the Gunnison river about 7 years ago and got pictures of a pair along the river bottom one grey and one black. About 3 weeks later was floating about 8 miles southwest and came around a bend and saw a grey wolf with a freshly killed fawn about 50 yards off the river. Myself and my clients got good clear pictures. I've hunted and guided all over the country my entire life and I know the difference between wolves and coyotes. I reported both to CPW because that's what your supposed to do. They played the coyote card until I hand delivered the pictures to the office. They then proceeded to tell me that they must be domestic wolves that belonged to someone in the area. Now they have an established pack just north of there that the star claims guess they finally had to fess up to having a population in Colorado.
Let’s see the pics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back