Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Cracking day on the Woodcock today

devon deer

Every year just a select few of my friends join me on a challenging rough walked up shoot, it's tough going in places, one minute on terra firma, just moment up to your Crown Jewels in deep bog!
But the Woodcock love the location, if the dogs don't flush them then you can actually walk past them as they sit so tight.
This was half way through our day, 4 woodcock, 1 mallard, 1 pigeon, in the afternoon we got another 2 as they flighted across the fields.
Best advice I was given was 'shoot them before they s**t' as they fly in a straight line when flushed, then I guarantee they drop their load and start to 'chink' their way through the woods.
A brilliant day.
@Sawtooth I bet you know the location :)
received_537977486804866.jpeg

Last edited:
Absolutely know the location. I can almost see where my second row buck took it's last step. Did the farm owner's cat follow you around on your hunt all day? I didn't know you were a bird hunter. If I can ever convince you to join me in Idaho, we will have to chase some Chukar and quail in some much dryer terrian.

Absolutely know the location. I can almost see where my second row buck took it's last step. Did the farm owner's cat follow you around on your hunt all day? I didn't know you were a bird hunter. If I can ever convince you to join me in Idaho, we will have to chase some Chukar and quail in some much dryer terrian.
Haha, that cat went missing for a few days after your shot :ROFLMAO:
I do a little bird hunting, some pheasant shooting as well as the above, but I really like waiting for the ducks to flight in to the ponds just as it gets dark, as well as calling it 'twilight', a local term we use is 'dimpsy', it's hearing the distant quacking as they approach and the sound of their wings as the circle, really gets my adrenalin pumping!

I would love to try that with you one day.

Thanks for the invite.

Cheers

Richard

Just tell me what year and we will make it happen. You guys look to have some nice over and unders. What were you shooting?

Just tell me what year and we will make it happen. You guys look to have some nice over and unders. What were you shooting?
Thanks Sawtooth, mine is a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon 3, not sure what the others were using, all 12g bar one which was a 20g

We had another day out shooting pheasants and woodcock today, I snapped this picture of my friends wife, her day time job is a nurse, but she is a tough girl, and wears a skirt and wellies when out 'beating' the woods!
But it's her dogs which are a bit rare, clumber spaniels, they are like tanks pushing through the thickest undergrowth, she has 8 of them!
We had 24 pheasants, 1 woodcock, and 1 pigeon between 8 of us.
Cheers
Richard

IMG_20200111_120927437.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. Our pheasants have been nearly wiped out by foxes and cats. No cover for miles has a lot to do with it also. Can't remember the last one I shot that wasn't pen raised.

Looks like someone put a St. Bernard's head on a Springer. Congratulations on a successful bird hunt.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back