Coyote when I was unarmed....

2rocky

So this morning I was up before sunrise taking the dogs for a run to the upper corner of the ranch. We get up there on top of the ridge, and my dogs start barking. Across the fence about 50 yards away, silhouetted against the sunrise is a coyote. Just watching us. It trotted off without seeming too disturbed. Folks are working ground up for planting and I think it makes the gophers easier to get to.

Question: How likely is it I could run on to it again in the morning?

What kind of Home range do coyotes have?

if I do some calling, what kind of calls should I use? Should I have my dog with me as an attractant?

Coyotes home ranges are massive, depending on the state.

In PA we used to kill over 75 a year running them with hounds and I can tell you that for certain a coyotes home range can be quite large. I have seen them travel in a straight line distance of 10-15 miles in 1 just night.....

Not likely to see it again in the same scenario. The pups are just getting dispersed now and are pretty visible and dumb

If he was feeding on a something like a dead deer carcass he may be in the same area.

Here in Indiana they are very skittish and don’t hang around if spooked, especially in the daylight. Home ranges seem to be quite large as well. Trying to call them in is one of the most fun but frustrating things since they are so wary

I'd leave the dog at home. I know guys who use coyote dogs but they are heavily trained dogs. They usually have large home ranges so I don't know about hitting the same exact area but trying a varmint distress call early wouldn't hurt. I like to change calls fairly quickly when coyote hunting. I usually start with distress calls then switch to some howls and so on. If you want call recommendations, its hard to beat electronic calls but Rocky Mountain Hunting Calls varmint hand calls are my favorites, Primos howlers as well.

Back